Are there Silver Quarters from 1965?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jeffusa, Mar 5, 2009.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

We can imagine any number of hypotheticals. Maybe somebody rolled out some silver-clad copper stock, punched some disks out of it, and contrived to slip them in among the clad planchets in 1996. Maybe it's not silver, but plutonium!

But it's a fact that clad coins can tone in many different ways, and some of those look a lot like worn silver. There's no reason to believe your coin contains actual silver; in fact, by showing its edge and checking its weight, you've produced solid evidence that it is an ordinary clad coin.

Feel free to do an acid test or take it to a shop with a scanner. Someone might have silver-plated it, but I haven't yet seen a silver-plating job that looked that much like a normal clad coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

4. -jeffB

5. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

Once again, I don't think that my coin is silver clad, never said that, either. What I do wonder, though is why only the few years after 64 seem to have coins with these silver-like appearances. Have you seen any from the 70s, 80s, or 90s? They all have 75% cu 25% ni outer layers. Why are only those from the years right after the change from coin silver found with these visual characteristics?

6. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

You must have missed me saying, "It's weight pretty much disproves any possibility of it being clad in silver."

7. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

I'd say have you ever seen counterfeit US coinage from China?

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Never any made with made from a previously never used metal composition.

9. -jeffB

No, not at all, except where you said:

...and...

Now, no, you technically didn't say that you thought your coin was silver clad -- just that it looked like it, and that we can't prove that it isn't. We addressed those points at some length.

I think it's because those are the only ones you've noticed. It's probably also more likely with age, which would naturally mean that the oldest clad coins are most likely to display it.

JPeace$ likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Yes, it is silver.

Now we can move on.

He'll argue until he gets the answer he wants.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  11. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

12. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

Yes, He probably will.

13. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

14. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

OK, You think that I think or want you to think that my coin has silver in it. Fair enough. You, being just you, JeffB, or is the other Frank also of that opinion? I said looks, rather than is so that my impression would be understood. Anyway, your theory of the oldest ones being most likely to exhibit a silverish look has some merit, as with wear the coin's surface gets closer to it's copper core where the clad layer has bonded to it and a different patina might be expected to develop there. You're a pretty smart guy!

15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Mike, you have to understand that on a weekly basis, someone joins the site, then claims/hopes they found some numismatic rarity that will make them rich and starts a thread. When they get feedback opposite their beliefs, they typically don't take it well or take no for an answer. Understanding this, you can see why you received some of the responses you did after some very experienced members told you why your coin was not a 90% silver clad coin from the U.S. Mint.

Hope you stick around and participate on the site.

tommyc03 and Mike Reynolds like this.
  16. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds New Member

At least I didn't hypothesize it being made from plutonium
    Thanks and Jeff sorry to ruffle your feathers. Just having a bit of fun and at least I didn't hypothesize it being made from plutonium. :)

17. liu_hai

liu_hai God of Coins

Good idea. A silver quarter is heavier.

18. Chritt

Chritt New Member

I have personally found 3 coins that had flaws extremely similar to yours. You have what is called a "flawed coin". It's an error that occurs when stamping coins.
    These coins are FAR more valuable than a silver 1965 quarter. My 3 coins were flawed wheat pennies and I received $80 cash from a coin shop for my pennies. I knew I could get more if I put in the effort to sell to collectors. But how I found my flawed pennies was the same way you did. I just happen to look at a penny I swept up from the floor. It looked odd to me and I couldn't tell why. Until I looked up "flawed coins" on the net. They told me to get a magnifying glass and look at the lettering closely. But for YOUR coin, it sounds like your flaws are very obvious. It is my opinion that your coin would be worth far more than my pennies. The more obvious the flaws, the more valuable it is. I'm not joking. Look up "flawed coin 1965 quarters' and start reading. Just make sure you research the sale price of other coins like yours, before you attempt to sell it to ANYONE. Good luck :)

19. Chritt

Chritt New Member

Sorry

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  20. Chritt

Chritt New Member

My bad. Had problems posting and it made duplicates

21. Chritt

Chritt New Member

My bad. Didn't mean to re-post like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted