Are there many penny collectors out there?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Richard Kennedy, Jan 5, 2022.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    alurid and Marshall like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I search rolls of pennies looking for cents!!!!
    [​IMG]

PamR, Gallienus and Penny Luster like this.
  4. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I collect cents business strikes only. I do not collect error coins.. I have all the Memorial and Shield cents. I have all the Wheat cents except for the 1909-S VDB, 1914 D, and 1922 no D. For Indian Head Cents I am only missing 1869-1872, 1908 S and 1909 S. For Large Cents I have 1803, 1808, 1812, 1818, 1822-1856.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That George V was not the King George V of England though.

The To Hanover tokens related to the splitting of the line of the kings of Great Britian from the King of Hanover. When Queen Anne died without an heir they had to reach out for a more distant relative to take the throne. The closest relative was the King of Hanover in Germany. He came to England and became King George I. George II, III, IV, and William IV were known as the Hanoverian Kings and were the king of both countries. When William IV died there was a problem. Victoria became Queen of England, but under Hanoverian law the throne could not be inherited by a woman. So the Throne of Hanover went to her uncle Ernest Augustus Duke of Cumberland. The English people took the snubbing of Victoria as a slight and the figure on the reverse is the Duke being set off To Hannover. So the token is basically saying "Victoria is the Queen, and you can go to Hanover."

A bit of trivia. George I never bothered to learn English so the language of the royal court under George I, and II was German, and George III was possibly more comfortable with German than English as well.

6. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

Just FYI, I have a small collection of Australian Large Penny from an uncle. Although I know of them and like them, I do not appreciate as much as other coins. If you are interested, send inquiry to: dhenriquez@avtaxman.com

Rushmore and SensibleSal66 like this.
  7. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

Yes, the same as all of you, I collect and enjoy Lincolns and have all but 1909 S vdb in books and with multiple sets. I began collecting Graded Lincolns years ago and have many of them too yet, most are valued over $100 each. I have two special ones: the 1970 S, Small date - PF69 RD and the 2019 "First W" Uncirculated Cent - MS70. I have others with less POP and valued more yet, these are the tops. The novelty of Wheaties to me is, you don't know who ever held it (i.e., Presidents, celebrities, etc.). This is the same for Indian Cents, really cool.

Penny Luster, UncleScroge and wxcoin like this.
  8. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I keep ALL wheaties I find in change but have 99% of all cents from1798 on up (many in bad shape but I love the mutts just the same as XF. I stopped buying cents along time ago unles it's a super bargain, then I can't resist.

Penny Luster likes this.
  9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'm working on rebuilding my IHC and LWC sets. I sold a complete raw LWC set years ago (AU 1909-S VDB, AU 1914-D and XF 1922 no D) and a nice partial raw IHC set (no 1877 or 1909-S). This time I'm focusing on building slab sets.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Not all cents. I even toss back wheaties into the wild (mostly from 40s and 50s and 60s) that are much less than desirable for me in grade/condition. No reason to keep those anymore and let someone else have the fun of seeing one occasionally while making sure the dogs get worse condition (keeps the good ones already out of circulation in limited supply). Anyhoo, I do like looking through them at times, but I've cut down on it a lot with the new ones (zincolns with shields) being quite predominant. I'm pretty much not interested in those.

Etcherman and Cheech9712 like this.
  11. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Lincoln cents were the first coins that I collected. When I was young my father showed me his 2 Whitman folders of Lincolns. Book one and two. That was back in the 50's. He created a madman. Over the years I bought and sold all sorts of pennies. I went to local weekly auctions and always bought bags of foreign coins that no one wanted. I put together a great collection of English half cents and large cents. I worked a local monthly coin show with a friend and sold both sets to one man that wondered if I had any English pennies for sale. Boy was he surprised.
    Today I have (5) half cents, (175) Large cents, Indian heads and Lincolns. No count on the Indians and Lincolns. The large cents (1794-1857) are mostly all different die varieties. I need advise on how to best sell all of them. They have all given me lots of pleasure. Oh yeah I collect pennies. And 2, 3, 5, 10, 25, 50, 1.00 and currency too.

12. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

If you are a collector - you PROBABLY started your venture into the world of collecting in Lincoln cents. To this day, I STILL keep every pre59 cent that comes my way. I have approximately 230+ rolls of "wheaties" and if I purchase a collection, invariably there will be many old Whitman folders that I breakdown and put in the appropriate rolls. I have my own folder that I am trying to assemble with "wheaties" that are XF or better.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Penny Luster likes this.
  13. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I also collect pennies from other countries too. I have all the Canadian small cents and all the Large cents minus the 1858 key one.

New Zealand-all the Large Cents and about half the small ones.

Australia-most of the Large Cents and all except the 1986 and 1991 small ones.

Great Britain-several of the Large ones have a long run from like 1899 to the 1960s

14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have tried to collect all cents from the Large Cents (only 3), the Flying Eagles (except for 1856), Indian Head Cents (except for 1877), I have all of the Wheaties, and I like to collect Memorials. I'm not interested in the Shield Cents. Many of my pennies/cents are in sad shape, but I love them all and for the most part, the cost to acquire has been reasonable.

15. frech001

frech001 New but Old

PamR and Marshall like this.
  16. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

The joy that I get out of my collections is derived from showing the items to other people. That being the case, I've never been motivated to collect series. I certainly understand how assembling a set would be satisfying to some individuals, but when it comes to showing them to other people, the presentation would get stale pretty quickly ("Here's a wheat cent from 1909, from 1910, 1911, 1912, this one has a D, this one has an S, ect., ect.")

I've since moved onto ancients, but when I was collecting US coins, I attempted to build a type set. This of course included cents, but only one of each major type. It's easier to retain the attention of laypeople when each coin is significantly different from the last! ;)

frech001 and masterswimmer like this.
  17. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

I collect cent errors. I love it.

18. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Like many of us I started out collecting Wheaties and moved onto Indians, flying eagles and large cents. I don't collect wheat cents anymore but, do have some nice ones. If I find a wheat cent in the wild, I'll check it out and most cases release it back into the wild. Young collectors need something to hunt. One of my first coins was an 1806 British Penny that my grandfather gave me. Below are two pictures one of an 1806 British penny (not the one my grandfather gave me but, one that I also own and an 1806 Penny Obv PF 65.jpg 1806 Penny Rev PF 65.jpg 1866 Indian Cent S-5 Obv MS 64 RB (2).jpg 1866 Indian Cent S-5 Rev MS 64 RB (2).jpg 1866 Indian I just picked up.

Bones-65, PamR, Gallienus and 3 others like this.
  19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The Mint denotes them as pennies in the mint set specs.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  20. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

IHC, Wheaties, FEs, and Large Cents all "cents" Lincoln memorial and shields are pennies lol

chascat likes this.
  21. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

All I collect are Lincolns, although I have a lot "other stuff".

mrweaseluv likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted