Are there AR coins of Kassander

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

I don’t seem to see any silver Tets

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

I guess you must mean with his name on them? Because he minted a ton with the names of Alexander (III or IV) or Philip II on them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Quant.Geek likes this.
  4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here you go...

Macedonian Kingdom: Kassander (317-298 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis (Price 468; Ehrhardt 36)
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
    Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, Λ above torch; kantharos below throne

[​IMG]

Johndakerftw, ominus1, Bing and 5 others like this.
  5. Mammothtooth

Thank you, sorry to confuse, but with name on it.

6. Mammothtooth

That is beautiful!
    My silly question would be why mint coins with Alexander’s name, why not your own....Prestige

7. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

I don't think we can know that for sure.

I have seen some arguments that some of his supporters would have seen that as going too far. Maybe his position was not secure enough.

I don't think Antigonus Monophthalmus ever minted silver or gold in his own name either.

Also, I should have mentioned this in my last post, but when Kassander declared himself regent, he meant regent for Alexander IV. So it's possible that the Alexander named on Kassander's silver coins is actually Alexander IV and not Alexander III the Great.

Of course Kassander then had Alexander IV and Roxane killed. Jerk.

Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I believe anything Philip III and Alexander IV would be Kassander minting them, being Regent for them. He just killed them off later...
    LOL, [EDIT] agreed with @OutsiderSubtype :"JERK"

upload_2021-1-25_17-4-3.png
    (Seller attribution)
    Makedonon
    Philip III Arrhedaeus & Alexander IV, 323-317 BCE
    AR Drachm, 2.595g, maximum diameter 13.0mm,die axis 270o
    Amphipolis mint
    Obv: diademed head of of Apollo right
    Rev: ΦIΛIΠΠOY, naked youth pacing right on horseback, palm frond in right, reins in left, E in wreath below
    Ref: Le Rider p. 123, pl. 45, 31 - 32; SNG ANS 621, SNG Cop -, SNG Alpha Bank -,
    Comments: VF, struck with worn dies, porous, bumps and scratches
    very rare
    Ex: Forum Ancient Coins

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. Alegandron

Antigonos I Monophthalmos
    upload_2021-1-25_17-8-6.png
    Makedonwn Kingdom,
    Antigonos I Monophthalmos, 323 - 301 B.C., In the Name of Alexander the Great
    Silver drachm, 3.906g, maximum diameter16.5mm, die axis 0o
    Magnesia ad Maeandrum mint, c. 319 - c. 305 BCE
    Obv: head of Herakles right, clad in Nemean Lion scalp headdress tied at neck
    Reverse AΛEΞAN∆POY, Zeus seated left on throne without back, nude to waist, himation around hips and legs, right leg drawn back, feet on footstool, eagle in extended right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, ΣΩ monogram left, AT monogram under throne
    Ref: Price 1970, Müller Alexander 793, Prokesch-Osten II 84, SNG Cop -, SNG München -, SNG Alpha Bank
    Comment: gVF, nice style, dark toning
    Antigonos I Monophthalmos ("the One-eyed") (382 B.C. - 301 B.C.) was a nobleman, general, and governor under Alexander the Great. Upon Alexander's death in 323 B.C., he established himself as one of the successors and declared himself King in 306 B.C. The most powerful satraps of the empire, Kassander, Seleukos, Ptolemy and Lysimachos, answered by also proclaiming themselves kings. Antigonos found himself at war with all four, largely because his territory shared borders with all of them. He died in battle at Ipsus in 301 B.C. Antigonos' kingdom was divided up, with Seleukos I Nicator gaining the most. His son, Demetrius I Poliorcetes, took Macedon, which the family held, off and on, until it was conquered by Rome in 168 BCE
    Ex: Forum Ancient Coins

10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

evil Kassander did mint bronze coins in his name:

P1150444darth Vader.jpg

11. Alegandron

@Andres2 , I LIKE that AE!

upload_2021-1-25_17-30-11.png
    Makedon Kassander 316-297 BCE AE15 Herakles Lion reclining SNG Cop 1140

upload_2021-1-25_17-31-6.png
    Makedon - Kassander 305-297 BCE AE 20 Herakles - Youth on Horse prancing SG 6754

Attached Files:

12. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Kassander’s most common type bears a horseman on the reverse. These coins were struck from 305 BC until the end of his reign and cover some fifty percent of Kassander’s bronzes.
    The head of Heracles as an obverse is traditionally attributed to the Pella mint. The reverse of this issue pays homage to Philip II, who was still venerated in Macedonia.

AE Unit, Pella (or Amphipolis) mint, 305 - 297 BC
    17 x 19 mm, 6.323 g
    SNG München 1003 var. (placement of T); SNG Alpha Bank 926; Sear 6754; SNG Copenhagen 1146;
    Ob.: head of Herakles right, wearing Nemean lion headdress tied at neck.
    Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕ(ΩΣ) / KAΣΣA[ΝΔΡΟΥ], horseman riding right, r. arm extended in salute; Φ below horse, T behind raised foreleg, and star to outer right.
    upload_2021-1-25_19-28-35.png upload_2021-1-25_19-29-45.png

Kassander’s first bronze issue has the head of Heracles wearing lion scalp on the obverse and a seated lion on the reverse with the inscription KAΣΣANΔΡOΥ without any indication of the royal title, and was issued before Kassander's assumption of the royal title in 305 BC.

AE Half-unit
    18 mm, 3.634 g
    Pella or Amphipolis, ca. 317 - 305 BC
    SNG Alpha Bank 883-7; SNG Copenhagen 1140; SNG München 991; Sear sg6753

Ob.: head of Herakles right, wearing Nemean lion headdress
    Reverse: KAΣΣAN(Δ)ΡOΥ, lion reclining right; N in r. field.
    upload_2021-1-25_19-34-8.png upload_2021-1-25_19-34-17.png

13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thank you for that information on the issue dates - I just got a Kassander AE "horse" type a week ago or so and was blundering around with the year (my original guess below):

Macedon - Kassander horse Jan 2021 (0b).jpg

Macedonia Kingdom Æ 18
    Kassander
    (c. 317-305 B.C.)
    Pella or Amphipolis mint

Head of Herakles right, wearing lionskin / BAΣIΛEΩΣ KAΣΣANΔΡO[Y] above and
    below youth on horse right, YΠ? monogram right field, Θ? below.
    Mionnet I, 783 ? (see reverse).
    (5.68 grams / 18 mm)

Attribution Notes: Monogram right is similar to:

1. Wildwinds: YΠ monogram in upper right field, Θ below.
    Mionnet I, 783; Babelon Paris Inventory 1247.

2. Wildwinds: ΦΛ below horse,
    SNG Cop 1146 corr.; this looks like monogram to right on mine.

14. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Alegandron and Marsyas Mike like this.
  15. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

As others have stated, Kassander's silver was struck in the name of Alexander the Great. But there are numerous interesting AE types in his name, many of whom have already been shown in this thread. I can add the tripod type:

[​IMG]
    Kassander, Kings of Macedonia, AE unit, 305–298 BC, uncertain Macedon mint. Obv: laureate head of Apollo r. Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ KAΣΣANΔPOY; tripod; uncertain control marks. 20mm, 6.47g. Ref: SNG Alpha Bank 895-6. Ex AMCC 2, lot 388 (their picture).

Johndakerftw, Bing and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted