Are there any "modern" Scottish silver coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Feb 10, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'd like to add a Scottish silver coin to my collection, preferably one from the more "modern" era (within the last couple hundred years). I've searched but I can't seem to find any that are more recent.

I've seen some a few hundred years old and older, as well as some English commemoratives, but not much of anything else beyond those. Are there any silver coins that are more dedicated to Scotland (i.e. as opposed to a UK one that commemorates just the Highland games).

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

British shillings during the reigns of George VI and Elizabeth II were issued in two versions — English reverse and Scottish reverse. G6 shillings from 1937-46 were 50% silver. KM# 854 is the Scottish version.

Don't know if that qualifies as Scottish by your definition, but it's all I got.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Is it the one with this reverse? It looks very nice.

I do wonder why there aren't more silver coins dedicated to Scotland... would that be viewed as treasonous by the English? The huge lion front and center with the small Scottish flag seems to reinforce that message.

[​IMG]

spirityoda likes this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The Act of Union that joined the kingdoms under James I of England and VIth of Scotland unified the currency. Despite its size Scotland is only about 1/10 of the UK economy, although it is nowadays one of the loudest parts.

The issue of banknotes came long after the act of union, so Scottish banks still issue their own notes, as do those of Northern Ireland.

Scottish notes from before the mergers of many of the banks are a fruitful regional collecting field. Much more diverse than English notes. The British Linen Bank is one of my favourites, and Bank of Scotland notes the dullest.

I can't think of official issue Scottish coins that meet your requirements.

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

How about commemorative ones then?

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Scotland does not have a mint or issue coins, so anything you'd find would be unofficial, therefore not a coin.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Also, there are several modern coin sets or series that, in one way or another, honor the four parts of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland). Four different plants, bridges, etc. - but those are contemporary £1 coins, not silver pieces.

Edit
    - As far as I know, many of them also come in "special editions" like silver piedfort, made for collectors. Maybe that would be interesting for you ...

Christian

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

How about English coins that are Scottish-themed?

I saw the ones for the Scottish games (Highlands, I believe), and the ones with the three symbols on the reverse to represent Ireland, England, and Scotland. I'm sure there are more, but darn, there should be some more Scottish-themed coins.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

English coins haven't been minted since 1707, same as Scottish coins. All coins minted since then are now British:D

There was a Commonwealth Games in Scotland in 1986 and I have a piedfort silver 2 Pound coin from that issue - it has a large thistle on the reverse.

11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the Scottish reverse.

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Can someone please verify this info on NGC?

The page shows that a 1937 proof is worth considerably less than any other year's proof. Did they mint relatively more in '37? 26,000 doesn't sound like a lot to begin with... eBay prices do reflect a nominally "low" price (a little higher on eBay). I do wonder if sellers are simply going off this info. Anyway, even if it's accurate, is it because these coins are uniquely available to buyers?

upload_2016-2-13_18-9-44.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  13. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

The way I understand it, the 1937 Scottish Crest shilling is the only of the design that was minted for general dissemination to collectors. The other years are thought to have mintages in the neighborhood or 5 pieces or so, but Spink doesn't even list them at all. For all intents and purposes, the non-1937 shillings with the Scottish Crest are unattainable (diplomatic or museum pieces).

iPen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted