Are there 50 United States State issued pennies?????

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mykull73, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mykull73

mykull73 New Member

Hello everyone, first time poster here. Hope this question is a common one and an easy one.

Everyone on here probably knows about the Lincoln Kennedy penny. I mean there are tons out there. Anyways just in the past year I have found in circulation state ?issued? Pennies and was wondering the story behind them and what they are called. I mean if they're are worth a whole penny I would like to find all 50 states if all 50 states were made. I have searched the auction sites and the internet and can't even find these Pennies. So I don't know what they are called or if they were out of a set of some kind.

What I mean and to clarify here. Where Kennedy's head is on the Lincoln Kennedy Penny. That is where the shape of a state is stamped into the penny. Stamped the same was like Kennedy's head. I have them from 1975, 1976, 2009, etc. So either someone just grabbed a handful of used Pennies and started stamping them OR they were issued in different years. I have Virginia, South Dakota, and Texas just to name a few.

Any information would be wonderful. Thank you for your time!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Hello and no your question isn't a bad one. I know what you're referring to and it is counterstamped cents with the outline of a state on them. I too have found some roll searching and while I don't know who or why they were made they do exist in all 50 states. I have seen complete sets sell on eBay around $20 and up. I've never bought any but keep them when I find them.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Your coins have been altered with a counter stamp. Some private companies did this to promote the 200th anniversary (1976) of US Independence, as well as other years, and charged a premium for them.

5. 2Old

2Old Active Member

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are known as Novelties.

7. mykull73

mykull73 New Member

Thanks to all.
    It is against the rules to make B/S/T discussions in the general posts. They must be in the advertising subforums. Please read the rules.

It will probably cost more then the Penny is worth to have them shipped but at least it would be something I could afford to collect!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
  8. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Try going to the bank and buying rolls you would be surprised at what you can find fro face value.

9. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I am pretty sure I have a complete set of these...at the bottom of my copper cent jar (one of those huge old glass jugs). It's about 2/3 of the way full right now (just about the limit of what I can pick up) and I'll keep filling it until it gets full...then count them so I have an idea of how many cents it will hold. Just kind of a "for fun only" type project. So, yes, they do exist (I believe I popped them out of an album) for every state.

MKent likes this.
  10. Ruben

Ruben Member

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

12. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I received this set as a gift in 1977. Of course, since it came with slots in a cardboard folder which didn't hold the coins firmly, I used Scotch tape to keep them in place. I don't recall what happened to it but I probably still have it somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted