Are Starnotes worth collecting

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by old49er, May 1, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I have a lot of these, 20 starnote.jpg from 1,s to 50,s. are they worth anything? I found this nice looking 20 yesterday. Just curious about others opinions on these type notes...

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

$20 2004 EJ00206787*
    Run Size
    Total Printed

Other Info
    • Run Number: 1
    • Serial Number Range: 00000001 ↔ 03200000
    • Printed in FW in 2 2004
    I'd toss it back if I found it.

old49er likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Are star notes worth collecting ?

Maybe, it depends.
    On modern notes, condition is paramount. Modern star notes, distributed in packs of 100 like yours, should be uncirculated to have any value over face. Modern star notes distributed two at a time in packs of non-star notes can have value even if circulated.

These gently circulated, low print run stars are valued more than face value.
    [​IMG]

If you're serious, get a guide or learn how to search auction archives for past sold results.

Endeavor and old49er like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

These gently circulated, low print run stars are valued more than face value.

It's really not hard to be valued more than a dollar. There is not much apart from a handful of cents that is worth less than a dollar, and with the cents you can punch a hole in them and use them as washers.

7. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Absolutely they are worth collecting!!!

20160501_131446.jpg

I keep all the $1 I find in circulation because I like them. If you are asking are they worth more than face value, in general the ones you find in circulation are not. But I would also encourage you to separate your collecting interests from the monetary value, collect what you like.

Endeavor, Jwt708 and old49er like this.
  8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Try to find a funnyback star. If they aren't worth collecting now, someday they will be, you have to decide if you want to wait for someday.

old49er likes this.
  9. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Sounds neat. I didn't realize they had star notes on the old large notes. I have been collecting the small notes star notes, just because their different. I plan on passing them ,and my coin/medals collections down to my son. And I,m sure he will pass them down to my grandson...ect. maybe someday they will be worth much more than face value. I also have a bunch of small head older bills.1 to 100,s. before all the anti counterfeiting types....regards

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I look but so far haven't found any. But for some reason I keep on looking. Yes I think I'd hold them back just to say I had one.

old49er likes this.
  11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I got two consecutively numbered $20 star notes that were crisp out of my ATM last year. They're in plastic in my collection now. I got a beat up $1 star at a restaurant yesterday. That'll be spent. I have a few 1s, 20s, a 10 and a 50 star. It really depends on condition. If I get a crisp one I'll save it. If beat up I'll spend it. If you don't have any I could see saving the first one you find or something.

Paul M. and old49er like this.
  12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If it's less than 25 years old, just like you, anyone can find one just by looking through their currency. Why would anyone pay you more? If 50 years old maybe a 25% premium, but that can depend more on the signatures or the reserve bank they are issued to. 100 years old? Now we a talking. :>)

old49er likes this.
  13. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

I see two questions: one in the title; the other in the post.

Are they worth collecting? As in an investment or as in a hobby?

Investment: collect the rarest and highest quality you can afford. Which goes for all paper currency. I personally like 1$ notes ie Educational notes (getting soon), Black Eagles, Sawhorses, US Notes (red seal), Experimental and Emergency Notes.

Hobby: What ever floats your boat. In addition to popular and expensive, I also have an example of every 1$ from series 1934-1957b and am building a collection of modern star notes. Stars from series '63 - '93 I'm only getting them by district, but from 1995-present (and future) I'll be getting them by their runs too.

Are they worth anything? Face Value minimum. You'd have to find lower print runs or crisp notes to carry a premium.

afox and old49er like this.
  14. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

[​IMG]

old49er likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd have withdrawn more money from that ATM right away! :)

Maybe you can find them just by looking through currency, but I don't handle enough cash to come across one on a regular basis. Also, you probably won't find cool serial numbers that way.

I wouldn't invest in star notes, personally. If I were purchasing one with the hope of future appreciation, I'd go for ultra low serial numbers. I saw a serial #1 series 2001 $1 star note on eBay recently. That's one I'd go after if I were taking this angle.

But, really, investing in numismatic items is asking for trouble. Just don't. You're far better off investing in real financial instruments.

old49er likes this.
  16. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I had withdrawn $200. I then proceeded to go through my ritual of looking for a decent star note when I came across the two consecutive numbered notes in the middle of the pack. I'm guessing it was pure luck and there weren't any more. I agree with your thinking though.

old49er and Paul M. like this.
  17. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

As is always said, and why I am shocked that this is such a hard concept for everyone on this site to grasp, collect it because you like it. You're not a collector when you are collecting it just to watch the value rise and fall and then sell it off.

You kill your own perspective on this hobby by collecting something only because it's worth a lot of money.
    My entire collection is USA banknotes I find in circulation and iron out and foreign uncirculated ones that I buy on eBay for $3 or less, and that is what is fun and makes me happy. I could care less about the value.

beef1020 and SteveInTampa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted