Are specific serial numbers collectible - newbie learning!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by veryberry917, Nov 15, 2022.

1. veryberry917

veryberry917 Active Member

@paddyman98 - thank you! I wasn't sure. But it was more about the seal being misaligned, than the cut, but maybe it's the same?

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The print can be misaligned as well. Notes are printed in 3 stages with the back being printed first and the serial numbers printed last. These printings can be days or even months apart. There can be and are notes where the front and/or back printing is not centered, in the wrong orientation or skewed, completely missing, and/or even double printed. These too have tolerances and slight misalignments are normal. Those that the printing is off the note are naturally not in tolerance and are desirable to collectors. The serial numbers and seals of the third printing can be off centered as well and also have a tolerance as to what is acceptable to the BEP. Typically if the serial number or seal covers any other printing on the note, it is not within tolerances and is desirable to collectors. Some error notes have the serials printed upside down, on the back, or many other places on the note with the most odd being the most desirable. Some are missing them all together.

veryberry917 and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All three notes are well within specs so no errors. The second photo appears to have some bleed through which is due to over inking but that too is within limits. To me, and I collect paper as well as coins, would spend them.

veryberry917 likes this.
  5. veryberry917

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

You’re more than welcome

veryberry917 likes this.
  7. Hommer

You are very welcome.

veryberry917 likes this.
  8. veryberry917

QUESTION: what about portions of really old paper currency?

Attached Files:

9. veryberry917

I should say these are 2 bills; 1 Two Dollar Confederate 1862 and 1 Five Dollar Confederate 1864, both in torn and very worn and both in two pieces. I will probably keep them, but thought I would ask if there is any value at all.
    Also, is there a currency book for hard money, like the red book for coins?

10. Hommer

I believe that is the T42 $2 note which is in the first series of notes printed by The Confederacy. Its not extremely rare and in terrible shape, I would guess no more than $20, most likely less.

Edited a typo.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  11. Hommer

The $5 is in pour shape as well and even more common than the 2. This one no more than $20 for the novelty, again most likely less.

veryberry917 likes this.
  12. Hommer

13. Collecting Nut

The $2.00 CSA (Confederate States of America) is a common note. In that condition it worth about $5.00. Unless there is writing or a signature on the back side. As with all paper money, condition is everything.
    Your note shows this bill worked for a living but a collector, like me, wants a better condition. I collect CSA Notes so here are a few of mine. Some are graded on a scale of 1 to 70. This is a $20.00 Note from 1861. Yours was from 1862.
    0F08E68D-B8F6-4A2F-A379-1B87FA9F7ABF.jpeg A012E38A-07F3-419A-B58F-E9C5684EDE49.jpeg

14. Collecting Nut

In order to save money in printing costs the paper was very thin and the back was left blank. This note is from 1864 and the back was printed. FE547F0F-8D7E-49F1-995F-54630DA2D7F0.jpeg AC37B02B-C3F1-4AC0-90F4-EEFF5A652394.jpeg

15. Collecting Nut

Any CSA Note with printing such as this one increases its value. The back is blank but there are Interest paid stamps on it. The value on this Note is over $1000.00 as there is a signature on it and the signature is from Thomas Hoge. It’s dated April 21, 1863. This note has been traced to his selling of bricks to Andersonville Prison in 1864.
    EAADBC72-FEB3-427E-8483-892BC1E6A36C.jpeg 267DF1C7-4754-4B15-99B8-F61F92FD0BBA.jpeg 4E4A5EFB-94B7-4E32-97F9-413D41577A18.jpeg

masterswimmer likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Here is a graded note. It was given a grade of 63. To the right of the grade are the letters EPQ which stand for a exceptional paper quality. Also note the hand written serial number, 12345, which is a true ladder note. The note was issued on July 25th, 1861.
    T-8 is the note number assigned to this style. During the years of the Confederacy only 72 notes were issued. Counterfeit Notes were also present in circulation at the same time.
    I hope this helps to explain a little about them to you. If you have any others please post them and tag me. :)
    9947F437-1C40-4AD3-A4CF-4101D9A5A539.jpeg
    EF8FE8DA-DBD5-4BD4-84E3-09F7C8F04E91.jpeg

Notaphylic_C and expat like this.
  17. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

-Those are exceptional examples @Collecting Nut!

@veryberry917 you ask some great questions. General rule of thumb is that condition to collectors is like location for those seeking top real estate properties. The better the quality the more sought after the note. And if you must have circulated, then you probably should seek notes with good "eye appeal." For some its all about the design being well centred. For others it may be paper quality. After you've been at it a while, you will develop some "deal-breakers" on the issues poorer quality notes have such as: graffiti (ink/writing), tears, rust, marker, stains, staple holes, etc.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Thanks. That just a few of what I have. I love collecting them. Wish I could one of each note, all 72 of them. :)

19. Stash0

Stash0 New Member

Is there some guideline as what is considered within the border tolerance?

20. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

-If you're wondering about notes that are slightly off, then you've got a note that the majority of collectors don't want (or avoid). The general rule of thumb: the design of another note must be seen in order for the note to be considered an "error."

When I started collecting, in my teens (a few decades ago), I was always enchanted by notes that were slightly off. I incorrectly thought that these were special when in fact they were just poorly printed. Collectors sought perfectly centred notes (or equal borders). Fortunately, I got rid of my off-centred notes about 2 decades ago & bought a few notes where the design of the border note can be seen (skewed enough to be deemed an error).

Stash0 likes this.
  21. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

If you look at the example below, you can see a sliver of the design in the lower border.

0FE20A35-04F7-4E58-A4C3-FDCAB39494FC.jpeg

charley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted