Are Norfed sales on the blink?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Dec 8, 2012.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Front page of Coin World (on line edition today, print edition next week) has a story on the removal of Norfed Dollars from eBay.

eBay has removed them at the request of the Secret Service.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

:dead-horse: I suppose the SS wants the silver, in order to pay for thier *****s (prostitutes).

4. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

From my link above:
    LOL @ his outlook and reason for Gold-Buggery: "Give me a naked woman and a joint." He sounds like Phineas Freak of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
    Also: "Liberty Dollar coins are now classified officially as contraband—illegal even to own..."

In 1998, the Norfed scheme was linked-up with WAR sympathizers 'Media Bypass' (a purported US-govt 'shooting gallery' set-up, to some conspiracy therorists.)
    http://www.beyondweird.com/conspiracy/cn07-37.html

In the wake of Ruby Ridge, Waco and Oklahoma City, the local climate of Southern Indiana was decidedly "anti-government"
    >>The gun shop next door, Strictly Shooting, started accepting them. Then the hair salon down the street did, too. “There are people in this country who are fed up with the government, and they’re looking for something different,” says Terry Rice, who owned Strictly Shooting at the time. “Well, the Liberty Dollar was something different. It’s not like everybody who walked in the door had some in their hand, but when people saw them in the register, they wanted them as change. More than anything, it was an anti-government statement.”<<

According to the ADL, Norfed was distributing Liberty Dollars to WAR/rightwing militia types, so it's no surprise the Feds went after them.
    http://www.adl.org/mwd/profit.asp

I had no idea "Sunshine Minting" had anything to do with "Sunshine Mint of Hayden Lake." And I forgot that Ruby Ridge was nearby: 8 miles away? There's a backstory, to be sure.

In October, my LCS recently got a call & visit from SS about "counterfeit Dollars" - I had NO IDEA it was about Norfeds. This makes sense, now.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Amazing the SS and the government consider the Liberty dollars counterfeit and even argued in court that they looked so much like US coins that people would be confused, and according to Carr they know about his "fantasy" pieces and have no problem with them. I ask you folks, which looks more like a US coin, a Liberty dollar, or carr's 64-D dollar, the 64 Franklin, the 31 Standing Liberty quarter, 1816 capped bust half etc? It sure isn't the Liberty dollar yet that is the one declared counterfeit.

JPeace$ likes this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The likelihood of Carr's coins actually being used in commerce are very slim. They were made for a very limited collector base and aren't likely to be used in circulation unless you are a complete imbecile - spending a coin for a pittance that you paid far more for. But the way the Feds looked at the NORFED material was that it was actually being used/forced in commerce. At least early on in the case against Von Nothaus was that coercion was used to force people to accept them. However in reality the Feds wanted to nip this in the bud and make Von Nothaus a sacrificial scapegoat in order to prevent others from doing the same thing and it becoming a big thing - much more so than even Ron Paul would have imagined. The reason they haven't gone after Berkshares or BayBucks is that they are very limited in scope with no aspirations of growing beyond a very limited area.

The kicker for the Feds is that by going after NORFED they brought much more attention to the conspiracy theorists.

7. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

Conder101-
    Hate to break it to you... but the US guvmint has exactly that authority to declare/decide the Norfed Liberty "counterfeit," and a jury of his American peers convicted Nothaus accordingly. That's the fact, jack. You may not like the outcome but must learn from it - get politically active, to change whatever ("free coinage") as you see fit. Or abide.

I don't see a broader crackdown (on Ithaca Hours, etc.) so suppose NotHaus was in cahoots with bad guys. The more I look, the more I see Klukers and their ilk, ergo this was a closure-op by order of #43's Administration.

Word to the wise: it would be as FOOLISH to openly trade Norfeds now as it would be to sell mary-jane or meth publicly IMO. At this point, SS et al. will do everything they can to justify their share of the budget. And if they're wasting time to visit and seize ~$2k from an LCS here, they're on the warpath against counterfeits traded elsewhere in the USA likewise. Just sayin'

Coin Thalers instead :cool:

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This has come up before and people have asked for any correspondence from the US Treasury, mint, Att.General office, etc, that specifically states they are legal, as they do seem to use designs of the US gov. I am sure they "know" about the coins, but last I heard , they had not commented on them in writing or decree. If someone is aware of official comment, I would like a reference.

Jim

9. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

This sounds like a great opportunity to unload for those who have these items and then re-purchase once things settle down.

10. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

Good grief! Those Carr pieces are as counterfeit as the day is long. I'd imagine he got a verbal from someone (he too works for the US Mint) but if these became widespread - the Feds would shut him right down, too.

mm_100_1964d_matte.jpg

11. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

I was thinking "swap for more guns/ammo" but your pun is better LOL

12. lonegunlawyer

When it comes down to it, guns & ammo rule.

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If you run afoul of someone in power you can bet they will find every angle possible to bury you. You Americans used to think that would never happen in America - but since 9-11 many many perceived freedoms have been pushed aside in the name of "homeland insecurity". Try doing large cash transactions like in days of old. Try moving money around in banks like in days of old.

When you have collected long enough and or have the means to collect the "black box" stuff - you learn to keep your trapper shut - and not even share what you know, have, or have knowledge of. Kind of like old USSR with the KGB. In my time the KGB was largely clipped of their beaks - but they were still around and you knew it.

14. lonegunlawyer

Sounds like you keep a black box and only keep it to yourself.

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

16. lonegunlawyer

"Give me liberty or give me death!"

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

18. lonegunlawyer

19. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Yep except they never crackdown on the real counterfeiters, their red chinese masters.

20. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I agree 100% on that observation. When mine sold for $65 the other day I was surprised. I do understand some of them are quite rare, the ones with Puerto Rico in the legend for instance. But mine was a MISSOURI and there have to be thousands of them out there, so getting more than double melt seems like a windfall to me.

21. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Could it be they are trying to seize the Norfed "coins" because they have better artwork than most US issues? Maybe the Feds are just jealous.

Draft saved Draft deleted