Are My Pennies Worth Anything?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Gold_Digga, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Gold_Digga

Gold_Digga New Member

do i have any rare or valuble pennies?

1. A 1938 no p penny

2. A 1979 Penny With A Woman On The Front, The Back Has New Penny On It And Has Some Sort Of Bars Or Cage On it.

3. A 1 cent 1965 Canada Penny, With Leaves on it.

anything rare? :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

There are 4 varieties of Canadian 1¢ in 1965. They have to do with the shape of the #5 in the date and the size of the rim beads on the obverse.The rarest and therefore most valuable are those with an obvious point on the top bar of the #5.If you can combine that with large beads on the obverse your coin will be worth a premium in almost any condition.

Bill

4. Gold_Digga

Gold_Digga New Member

premium means a lot, right? over 300 dollars?

5. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Sorry. To me premium means more than face value. In this case if the coin is in MS condition it can be worth from $25 to over $200.Even in VG it's worth $3.00.I apolgize, that's what I meant by premium.

Bill

6. Gold_Digga

Gold_Digga New Member

its not shiney but it dont have junk all over it. what about the other 2 pennies?

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi Digga, and [​IMG] to the forum.

If your item #1 is a U.S. cent with no mintmark, you have one of the 156,696,734 produced at Philadelpha that year. "P" mintmarks have never been used on 1¢ coins. It could be worth anything from 3¢ to $5-6, depending on condition; with a very high liklihood of fitting near the bottom of that range.

#2 is most likely from Great Britain. That woman is Queen Elizabeth II, and the top of the design on the reverse is an Imperial Crown. Maybe one of our Brit members can explain the rest of the design. The value is somewhere in the 15-50¢ range.

It's a "New Penny" because the Brits changed from a base-12 pound/shilling/pence system to a decimal pound/penny system, in 1971. A New Penny was 1/100th of a pound, whereas an old Penny was 1/240th of a pound. After about a decade they decided that most people knew their money values, and dropped "New".

8. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

Any one know where I can see an image of the 1965 Canadian cent variety?

Draft saved Draft deleted