Are either of these 1972 pennies valuable?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coindrag, May 22, 2018.

1. coindrag

coindrag New Member

I was wondering whether either of them is a Double Die or otherwise is worth more than face value:

#1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

They both look slightly mis-aligned, but other than that I don't see anything to add any great value to them. What did you think you saw?

4. coindrag

coindrag New Member

I am quite the "newbie," and don't know much about coin values. The Internet told me that some 1972 pennies were valuable. I thought that maybe the misalignment and color bleeding (the second coin) might give them some value.

5. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

The '72 doubled die major variety is the biggie. There are others with a bit more than face value, but you'd know it if you found the "ONE". Visit doubleddie.com for research info to help you determine if what you're looking at has any significance or just another coin.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

This is "The Big One" for 1972 (Same coin as my avatar. Found roll searching in 2013). There are plenty of other doubled dies from 1972 as well.
    1972P DDO 001.jpg

doubleddie.com is a great resource and so is http://www.lincolncentresource.com/ if you are into Lincoln cents specifically.

tommyc03, *coins and Dave363 like this.
  7. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a 1972-D doubled die as far as I know, so rules out the first one.

8. furryfrog02

9. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

10. furryfrog02

The QC guys were all drunk on the job in 72 :p

Draft saved Draft deleted