Are Cotton Gloves Still A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikenoodle, Sep 14, 2013.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The US Mint shared a Facebook post about starting people in coin collecting. I passed it on but before I did, I checked out the link for myself.

Long story short the US Mint suggests using cotton gloves to new collectors.

I thought about that for a minute and as I did I realized that I never use cotton gloves anymore. I haven't since the 1970s, and I'm not necessarily sure that you should.

First and foremost, in today's age of corner Walgreen's and boxes of either Latex, Nitrile or other disposable gloves readily accessible I don't understand why anyone would want to use cotton over and over. The disposable gloves are a much better idea provided you buy the ones with no powder as they are inert and sterile (for the purposes of looking at coins, at least).

Cotton will not only collect dirt and cross-contaminate coins over time, but it's even slightly abrasive quality is less than desirable on the surface of fragile coins like cameo proofs or high-end MS coins. Not to mention the potential of leaving lint behind on your coins.

So I ask: Have we turned a corner in numismatics where we no longer use cotton as our glove of choice? Are cotton gloves "yesterday's technology"? Should we advocate that people not use cotton gloves for coins anymore?

silentnviolent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

This hand still uses glove
    [​IMG]

Camreno, mikenoodle and KoinJester like this.
  4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I use nitrile and disposable cotton. The cotton are more comfortable, but yes, they can leave fibers on the coins and holders. Doesn’t the mint still use cotton for handling proofs? Wish the TPG'ers would use something.

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

They also make coins slip out of your grip. That reason alone is why I never use them.

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. MrDSmith

MrDSmith Senior Member

I've never used gloves, at least not very often. I only buy certified now though, so it isn't something I think about there days.

Sent from my SHV-E300K using Tapatalk 4

7. athrose

athrose Member

If I do handle a coin outside of its capsule, the cotton gloves come on.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I've never felt the need for any gloves of any type. If you're careful you can handle any coin without touching any surfaces other than the rim.
    Just out of curiosity, how would you even pick up a 3 cent silver or a dollar gold coin by the edge when it's laying flat with gloves on?

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm a purist. I'm still using skin.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, what we should advocate is that people not use gloves at all. Wearing gloves to handle coins greatly reduces your dexterity and tactile sensation in your fingers. And wearing gloves greatly increases the likelihood that you will drop a coin due to the loss of dexterity and sensation.

Wearing gloves makes you clumsy. Think of any common everyday task that you do, like tying your shoes for instance. It's quite simple, you can literally do it with your eyes closed. Now put on a pair of gloves and try to do it. The same thing holds true with handling coins.

Coin dealers don't wear gloves, professional graders don't wear gloves, and experienced collectors don't wear gloves, and all for the reasons I mentioned above. So why should we teach beginners and novices that they should wear gloves ? Answer, we shouldn't. If you are going to teach somebody to do something, then teach them to do it right from the very beginning. Teach them to only handle or pick up a coin by its edges, teach them to be careful to not ever touch the surface of the coin. Teach them to practice handling coins with ordinary pocket change so that when they go to handle a coin for their collection they have the skill to do so.

Forget wearing gloves, you'll be better off.

11. mikenoodle

Doug,

are you quite so sure???

Surgeons wear gloves for those exact reasons that you mention.

Nitrile and latex gloves allow for tactile sensation through the gloves and their rubber-like nature actually help with people's grip.

I wouldn't think of a surgeon as clumsy. In fact, quite the opposite is true.

While the reasons you site are all good reasons to stop using cotton gloves, they are all good reasons to wear latex or nitrile gloves.

As for handling coins by their edges, even doing this will transfer oil from your hand to the coin. Period. If we are truly stewards of the coins in our presence, shouldn't we be the best stewards that we can?

Jaelus likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Most that try gloves will agree with Doug. It's best to learn how to handle coins by the edges.

13. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Personally, I'd rather deal with a minuscule amount of oil transfer than lament the dings and or scratches resulting from a dropped coin from a gloved hand.

Here's an alternative that made me laugh: http://www.uline.com/BL_6527/Nitrile-Finger-Cots

14. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I guess if you're handling a coin valued at thousands of dollars you would want to wear gloves. And latex gloves allow sufficient dexterity and sensation for almost anything.

For the rest of us, washing hands and holding coins by the edges should be sufficient.

Kasia likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

My point is that the "conventional wisdom" is to wear cotton gloves.

Over time, technology evolves the conventional wisdom.

For all the reasons that Doug mentioned, I agree that using cotton gloves is unnecessary.

If you look at archivists, they have traditionally used cotton gloves and I believe that this is where the convention comes from.

I argue that isn't it time that we evolve and suggest using sterile gloves at a minimum? and latex or nitrile as a best practice? Not only for their non-contamination factors, but also for the enhanced tactile properties that they may provide?

16. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

Agreed. But I've used Finger-Cots for years...and not just for coins. I have a mild contact-dermatitis issue, which they protect against in many small tasks.

The Uline variety shown in the link seems to have a 'ballooned' end, and that isn't attractive to me for reasons of control...but Cots are available at your local Drug Store in a variety of sizes.

I buy one size smaller than my fingers, and use them once only. Cheap, clean, no loss of tactile feedback, comfortable (for relatively short periods)...what's not to like?

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Precisely. And that wisdom of wearing gloves is older than I am. Wearing gloves is just like the wisdom of harshly cleaning your coins used to be the thing to do, using coin cabinets, and an entire list of other things - the thinking on all of it has changed and been done away with.

They don't enhance anything Mike. Sure, the latex gloves have much better tactile properties than other types of gloves. But not better than bare skin. The only reason surgeons wear gloves is to prevent infection in their patients. Gloves can be completely sterilized, the human hand cannot be. If surgeons could completely sterilize their hands, and keep them sterile, they wouldn't be wearing gloves either, for the same reasons I mentioned.

But you are welcome to disagree

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since he mentioned that the gloves made you less dexterious, could I know the name of your surgeon so I can avoid him! : - )

19. mikenoodle

any chance of handling coins completely inertly is preferred to handling them with fingers. The oils on your hand are undesirable.

THAT'S what they enhance. Our ability to handle coins with less risk of imparting some oil upon them be it on the rim or otherwise. If we believe that not handling them with bare hands is more desirable, then shouldn't we recommend that the better technology for doing so exists in the latex/nitrile glove?

20. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I should have mentioned above that I usually only use gloves for uncirculated and higher grade coins - since the edge is a surface of the coin, I don’t want finger prints eating into the coin there either. I never handle proofs, they stay in their holders. As for well circulated coins, they’re already coated with skin oils, so unless they’re a high value coin, not much harm handling them without gloves.

Assuming you're not packaging the coin in an Air-Tite or 2x2, but pushing it on the rim into your folder or album, gloves are the best way to avoid finger prints on the obverse or reverse.

As I've aged, my skin is much dryer, so my dexterity is enhanced by nitrile gloves that fit properly – I’ve never dropped a coin because of the gloves. A coin could be dropped at any time for any reason, so best to handle it over a surface that will not harm the coin, like a soft surface tray or carpeted floor.

If you're going to handle uncirculated coins with bare hands, while holding it on the edges, try rotating it completely, so that the entire edge is coated with skin oils evenly. That way, when the toning on the edge starts to creep onto the obverse and reverse, it will be an even target type toning. You can see this type of toning on many Morgan Dollars, that developed because at one time most believed it was ok to handle uncirculated coins with bare hands.

mikenoodle likes this.
  21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you haven't seen Calcutta mint/proof sets yet. wearing gloves should be a law for mint employees

Draft saved Draft deleted