Are Coins of Charlemagne worth anything?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Gallienus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

So what's a coin of Charlemagne worth these days? Of course I'll exclude the super rare (& expensive) portrait varieties so just the non portrait ones?

Apparently these are made in many types: the more desirable having his title Carolvs with IMP for his coronation in the year 800 AD. I understand there are some books out on these but haven't been able to track them down. Also there are varieties with his name in a couple of lines, presumably minted before he was crowned Emperor. Are these worth anything?

Also were his pieces duplicated (like some Roman Emperors or tetradrachma of Alexander) by other Kings of the day? Thus a coin may be marked Carolvs but have been minted by some contemporary non-entity such as Leo III.

Naturally value is dependent on condition. Let's leave condition out of it and just talk about the desirability of the different types. Assume a decent condition.

Thanks for any insights.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Mikey shows what I have noticed. I own a few Carolingian coins, but Charles always goes outrageously high.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted