Are coin shows coming back?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, May 24, 2020.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't know if I agree with you on the mask thing here. The reason why the public is being encouraged to wear masks is to reduce the spread of potential asymptomatic carriers. So, the mask would be dirty on the inside...not the outside. So, its only in contact with you and probably not really a risk to anyone else. I think for cloth masks they should be washed regularly and disposable masks should probably not be worn for too many days.

For me, I change my mask all the time at work but that is because I am in people's faces constantly and aerosolized particles are present...so my mask is being externally contaminated. So, I wear a new mask for every patient.

Now, if I am using an N95 mask, I will cover it with a surgical mask to prevent it from become externally contaminated so I can make it last longer...because they are so hard to source. Hospitals are doing the same thing.

MIGuy and Bayern like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's nothing to agree with, it is scientifically proven that you can infect yourself wearing the same disposable mask over and over

Not even close to true, the outside of masks pick things up and carry them

Legomaster1 likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

I haven't seen any data that suggests this is accurate. I have seen data that shows that other pathogens can grow on the inside of a soiled mask (bacteria, fungi, ect.) and you can get secondary infections.

It's highly unlikely that in the "normal world" the outside of the mask is going to get so soiled that its going to pose an infective risk. Yes, the outside of the mask can pick up things...but this virus doesn't stay in the air very long so its unlikely that there is much of a risk here. In theory, could it happen...sure. But I would say that wearing a mask is safer than not despite this.

Now, if you are in a position where someone is spraying potentially infectious material in your face (like I have been in all day today)...then yes, change the mask.

MIGuy and ewomack like this.
  5. baseball21

At no point did I say not to on the chance it could help. What I commented on was that wearing these masks everyday over and over like most people are is likely doing more harm than good. You’re supposed to at least wash them if not throw them away and yes most people wear them put them in a bag or whatever and put it back on and do contaminate both sides from not using them properly.

there’s a lot more things that can kill you than this virus, disposable masks are disposable for a reason.

6. CamaroDMD

More harm than good...no. Could cause some harm...yes. You are right, it's not healthy if the masks are not being washed or discarded. But, you also have to consider that a lot of pathogens don't live a super long time on surfaces (but some do).

True...and it's always been that way. Tons of people don't wash their clothes regularly (not me) and have other unhygienic habits. They aren't dying or ill in droves. We are a hardy species.

7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Wash your hands, Wash your masks, wear your masks and if we have to deal with it this way, then lets all do our best.

Bayern and CamaroDMD like this.
  8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

If restaurants and barber shops can figure it out, so can us coin folks.

9. CamaroDMD

Even though in restaurant dining is back in my state, most places aren’t doing it. The restriction on numbers does not make it financially viable. So they are mostly still doing takeout. I don’t see how coin shows could be successful with similar limits.

10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Who says they have figured it out? They are playing with hand grenades and some might have the pins loose.

Bayern likes this.
  11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Who says they have figured it out? They are playing with hand grenades and some might have the pins loose.

12. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

We have a coin show in Houston scheduled for June. Ed confirmed today that he plans to have the show. It is interesting the show in Ft Worth the same weekend was cancelled.

HOUSTON SUMMER COIN SHOW

FRIDAY JUNE 26th 11am - 6pm
    SATURDAY JUNE 27th 9am - 4pm

I suspect the coin show will have ok attendance. There are lots of folks who want to go somewhere like a coin show. I have not decided if I will go, but some from our coin club (Pasadena, TX Coin Club) will.

If you watch the news much, you have seen several headlines like this:
    Texas bar owner prohibits customers from wearing masks; BY CHEVAZ CLARKE; CBS NEWS

13. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Every coin show in my area has been canceled. If someone tried to host one, I wouldn't go. I think it's way too early for such an event. Though I do sympathize with people who feel shut in (I'm one of them), and I would probably like to attend a show as much as anyone, a momentary pleasure isn't worth potentially spreading or contracting a known lethal virus.

14. baseball21

My apologies for not replying sooner. I fully get the pathogens and everything and I’m not against masks at all on the chance they really help, that said a significant number dont have a clue about how to really use them or the hygiene of them. My more harm than good comment was mostly directed at those people as it is likely some of the people being so dumb with how to use them are more likely to get sick from them.

Used properly there’s not really a downside, but used properly is the key there.

15. CamaroDMD

I think we’re pretty much on the same page.

16. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Where? The place off Harwin? I'm there.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Scheduling a coin show is one thing. Having enough buyers show up to make it worthwhile may be quite another.

18. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Putting a shopping list together for a visit to a coin show is a good idea, always. Just look for what is on your list. Get in and get out. Now is not the time to be finger feeling every coin in every dealers' case. Want to talk shop, join CoinTalk. Don't show up if you feel sick or fear exposure.

The dealers can mitigate some of the exposure. Don't bring the thousands and thousands of 2 x 2 coins in binders that people dig through. Bring plenty of wipes. Keep the tables and cases clean. Remove the chairs from the tables. On and on.

I want the ability to go to the coin show virtually, first, then the physical location. If only, I knew a software developer. Oh, the possibilities.

rrdenarius likes this.
  19. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

This will be the second show on the west side of town. It is just east of Hwy 6 on Richmond.

NEW LOCATION
    WEST OAKS FELLOWSHIP EVENT CENTER
    14440 Richmond Avenue
    (1 block east of Highway 6)
    Houston, Texas 77082

http://coinshows.com/houston_es.html

I found a few nice coins at the last show. Pegasi's calendar listed all of their April and May shows as cancilled. This one is still on their list. I hope they come.
    DSCN4322.JPG DSCN4325.JPG DSCN4328.JPG

gronnh20 likes this.
  20. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Until vaccine / cure shows are dead.

21. CamaroDMD

I don't know about that...the flu vaccine isn't always very effective and normally the flu doesn't cause us too much panic. I think this calendar year, shows are gonna be pretty non-existent but next year I think things will be basically back to normal...by that time the virus should not be spiking like it is now.

People in this country don't have that long of attention spans...we will quickly move on to something else and this virus won't seem as important. It's already happening. People are paying far more attention to police behavior and civil unrest right now. COVID-19 is already starting to slip from our attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted