Are cleaned coins good investments?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ibuycoinsoffebay, Nov 11, 2017.

1. For example, I buy a key date cleaned 1921d morgan silver dollar for a bargain

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

1921D Morgan a key date? Who told you that?

Beefer518, Galen59 and NOS like this.
  4. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

It pains me to say, but coins generally aren’t good investments.

Collect for the fun of it and not the returns.

serafino, eddiespin, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Not an investment. A bargain would be spot for a 1921-D. Not a scarce coin to say the least.

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Define "for a bargain"

Galen59 likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

21-D? $20-$25 coin, if it's been cleaned spot +$2= $15.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Good luck getting a response from him

9. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

10. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

1921-D is just about the most common Morgan in existence, and the only "bargain" for one is "free."

A "bargain" for a cleaned coin is about 10% of retail in grade for an original example. That would be a good investment. Except for the difficulty in finding a buyer, since few want cleaned coins.

dwhiz likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This. His last 8 posts have been new threads. I looked through the entire first page of results for "show posts", and he never replied to questions in a thread.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

No good reason to care; it's allowing some really elementary topics to receive up-to-date responses from experienced collectors. Heck, if I were going to do a sockpuppet, this is how I'd do it. :D

-jeffB likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it wasn't a longer streak than 8 lol

15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Dismissive responses aren't conducive to continuing dialog. If he was a cute blonde with big boobs you'd be all over yourselves providing helpful guidance.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1) 1921 D Morgan a 'key date'?

2) no

17. littleton coin company told me it was a key date

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Thanks for coming back to reply.

I didn't think Littleton was in the business of promoting "key dates" -- their reputation is that they grade coins accurately, but sell them at very high prices. Do you have the email or ad where they said this?

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Regardless of what you are told on this site by exaggerators, there's a relatively strong market for "cull"
    Morgan Dollars at >spot + 45%.

There are numerous dealers that will pay greater than spot value for not just "cleaned" Morgan Dollars but damaged "cull" coins.

When I sell large lots ($50 face/>) of my higher grade Silver scarce coins on Craigslist, I offer the coins I deem as culls at slightly above melt. I haven't yet received a rejection.

As it's been established many times in this venue, it generally isn't a good source for market value determination. Heck, current "Grey Sheet" dealer bid for circulated Morgans is greater than 20 x Face.

I suggest you view advanced eBay cull Morgan SALES to determine normal net/retail market values.

I don't know what you consider a "bargain" for your queried coin, but I believe it could be sold easily for $18 in AG condition.

JMHO

20. imrich

Regardless of what you are told on this site by exaggerators, there's a relatively strong market for "cull" Morgan Dollars at >spot + 45%.

There are numerous dealers that will pay greater than spot value for not just "cleaned" Morgan Dollars but damaged "cull" coins.

When I sell large lots ($50 face/>) of my higher grade Silver scarce coins on Craigslist, I offer the coins I deem as culls at slightly above melt. I haven't yet received a rejection.

As it's been established many times in this venue, it generally isn't a good source for market value determination. Heck, current "Grey Sheet" dealer bid for circulated Morgans is greater than 20 x Face.

I suggest you view advanced eBay cull Morgan SALES to determine normal net/retail market values.

I don't know what you consider a "bargain" for your queried coin, but I believe it could be sold easily for $18 in AG condition.

JMHO

21. imrich

Here's a RARE Fair condition 1921D Morgan having 25 bids to a $36 value: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-D-PCG...460616?hash=item3f8af82fc8:g:C8wAAOSwyP5Z~S8B

Here's another 1921D that was unusually listed/sold as a cleaned coin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-D-MOR...812649?hash=item569f00bae9:g:MdsAAOSwTKJZepMM

Several buyers considered these coins to be bargains! You be the judge!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted