Are any of these worth appraising? Part 1

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Write2bfree, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

Hello,

I was trying to see if any of these were worth appraising? There is another part to this. Sorry for so many pictures but my coupons are limited and i just dont know which seems to be worth it. Need help! Thank you.

1963 (seems to have double on "in god we trust")

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1963 D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1957 D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1954 D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1776-1976 S (or could be a D, not sure)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Short of any varieties (which I cannot see well enough to check for) you're looking at values based mostly upon content unless willing to invest the time and energy into trying to eek out tiny long shot premiums.

Write2bfree likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Write2bfree

Appraising? I assume you mean submitting for grading. If so, I don't think any of them would be worth grading. I suggest you save your coupons for coins that would have a substantial increase in value.

Chris

Write2bfree likes this.
  5. Write2bfree

Is there any specific dates that you recommend me to look for? I have a lot of silver quarters to go through.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is there any specific dates that you recommend me to look for? I have a lot of silver quarters to go through.

6. Write2bfree

Oops sorry for repeat

7. cpm9ball

It looks like most of your coins are circulated, and unless there is a key date or MAJOR variety among those, I would say, "No!"

Chris

Write2bfree likes this.
  8. Write2bfree

Chris! I been waiting for you to reply lol. Are there any key dates that you recommend? Because online some articles have dates that others don't and I'm not sure which ones I'm suppose to look for.

9. Write2bfree

Also, they are just dirty. In person they are really clean and I believe I'm not suppose to clean them with anything so I just take the pictures with dust and other stuff covering it the coins.

10. BooksB4Coins

It didn't even cross my mind that he could have meant submitting...

OP,

If this is what you're asking, please understand that contrary to how things may appear on the outside looking in, a great majority of coins people collect would have no business residing in TPG holders. Submitting must somehow add to the coin, be it in liquidity, increasing its potential, or even in confirming authenticity, so even setting costs aside, if a coin is not measurably better off inside a holder, there's no real reason for wanting to put it in one. Costs, of course, should be a consideration because depending on a coin's potential value, submission fees can easily eat up a fairly large percentage of it; many set a value threshold, often around $100, before submitting becomes an option, and even then all pros and cons must individually be weighed.

The point is that with few exceptions, a coin is what it is residing inside TPG plastic or raw. Always focus first on the coin itself.

11. cpm9ball

Sorry! I had to make a nature call.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, but the best way to learn is to do it yourself. Check the Red Book and the CPG. Look for the coins that would have a big jump in value from VF to XF, XF to AU or AU to MS.

Chris

Write2bfree likes this.
  12. Write2bfree

I totally understand and plus i rather save money and time rather than send stuff off for grading and waste my time...I been trying to look up information but the Internet seems like there's a lot of "opinions" by individuals rather than stuff you just suggested. I haven't even come across what a red book was until you just commented. Anyways, thank you.

13. Write2bfree

Thank you so much! I guess I'll continue to sort these quarters and then look at each one individually. See you guys in 10 years. [emoji2]

14. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

As far grading please see my post on your other thread. But as far as key dates, Washington's are pretty cut and dry. The keys are 1932-D & 1932-S......the rest are common barring some rare varieties.

Write2bfree likes this.
  15. Travlntiques

Oh, and your 1976 is an "S" :)

Write2bfree likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

Aw heck! You're taking all of the fun out of it for him.

Chris

17. Travlntiques

The journey is the best part I suppose, lol

Write2bfree likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

It's not quite as simple as saying the 32 D and S and the rest are common when one is concerned with value. In particular some of the early D mints can be fairly valuable in better circ grades and up, but even this is simply too general. Sit down with a price guide (perhaps numismedia as its online, free, and easy) but don't worry about listed values as much as use it to identify what dates/mints may have what you consider to be a worthwhile value, and take note. If you happen to have one and question it's condition, post a few photos.

Variety wise, yes... the major are major for good reason, but depending on what you feel to be worthwhile, some of the lesser varieties may be worth searching for as well. Also, look into the different reverse types used as this too has the potential to result in an unexpected premium.

Write2bfree likes this.
  19. Write2bfree

Thank you everyone!!

Draft saved Draft deleted