Are any of these nickels worth keeping?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by imm2004, Oct 6, 2015.

1. imm2004

imm2004 Cointastic!

I found some nickels while roll hunting that I don't know whether or not to keep. Here are their exact dates:
    1939 (3)
    1940 (2)
    1941 (7)
    1943 (2)
    1944 (1)
    1946 (3)
    1947 (1)
    1948 (4)
    1949 (3)
    1952 (2)
    1953 (2)
    1954 (4)
    1955 (3)
    1956 (6)
    1957 (6)
    1958 (2)
    1959 (2)
    Their grades range from good to very fine.
    Are any of these worth keeping?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Condition is everything. Photos (obverse & reverse) are priceless!

Chris

4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

If I had a nickel for everytime either I or someone else said that on these boards.....

5. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

You've asked if any of the nickels are worth keeping. My first question would be to ask you if you collect nickels? If it's not an area of your interest, then you probably don't need to keep them. Jefferson Nickels are a pretty easy collection with few true rarities. If you don't collect them then you could sell/or trade them to someone who does. Maybe a better idea would be to put them all in a ziplock and give them to a nephew/neice or grandchild, cub/brownie scout or neighbor kid with an inexpensive folder, and plant the seeds of a future numismatist. You'll end up a hero, and all it cost you was five or six dollars. Jack

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The 43 and 44 are partial silver so they're worth keeping. The rest, without knowing mint marks, I would probably throw back.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Keep them all. They don't make them anymore. The older nickels are ok but the 43 and 44 contain silver from the war years.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I don't see any mintmarks on any of your coins. Are you checking for mintmarks on the reverse? The earlier pieces with a mintmark are most likely worth keeping.

10. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Yes, the 1943, and 44 are worth about 9-10 times face value at present, but you should keep them all.

11. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

One additional thought: If you look at the post above by treashunt (the other Frank) you'll find a link at the bottom of the post that leads to Whitman Publishing. If you'll click on that thread you'll go to a site where they sell the current Redbook. This a pretty basic, but really important guide that will help you decide for yourself, in the future, whether you want to keep various US coins you find. It's updated each year and is very reasonably priced. Jack

Draft saved Draft deleted