Are Any Of These Ikes Worth Grading?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DoubleDiamond, Aug 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleDiamond

DoubleDiamond Active Member

Hi Guys,
    I have come seeking more definitive answers from the collective...
    Are any of these Ikes worth getting graded?
    Thanks!
    (Obverse and reverse of each coin arranged horizontally left to right)

Attached Files:

• 78.jpg
      78.jpg
      File size:
      214.1 KB
      Views:
    • 0910.jpg
      0910.jpg
      File size:
      214.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1112.jpg
      1112.jpg
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • 56.jpg
      56.jpg
      File size:
      271.7 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      252.7 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      275.8 KB
      Views:
    capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Suggestion: Before you consider submitting coins for grading, you might want to search the NGC and PCGS archives for the population and value.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

IMHO.. no

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Depends on the reasoning behind grading. For value, no. Common Ike’s aren’t worth much more than face value if any. If they are family heirlooms, certainly.

Dynoking, rosethe, capthank and 3 others like this.
  6. DoubleDiamond

Thanks Randy, So is the Type 1 1976 quite common then?

capthank and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. DoubleDiamond

Moreover, it says on the PCGS Coinfacts page that a 1976-D $1 Type 1 MS63 sold for $14,000, so I really do appreciate your opinion. Furthermore, the contradictory information about the worth of such coins, between coin collecting experts such as your good-self, and well established companies like PCGS who stake their reputation on the credibility of what they say, is very annoying. Thank you again. I'm going to write to PCGS immediately and tell them that Randy Abercrombe says the 1976-D $1 Type 1 Ikes aren't worth much because they're common - and they have got it all wrong.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Quite honestly, I am not a variety guy. I’ll leave that to others to answer.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

My apologies. I certainly didn’t mean to step on your toes. You need a variety expert.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Here is a conundrum?
    Person asks if coins are worth grading. After receiving opinion, slight's the person's answer :)meh:) then asks if type 1 1776 is common.
    Obviously some homework done, but not enough or he wouldn't have asked the original thread question. Value for most is four bits.
    Great way to announce yourself to the CT Family.:(

11. DoubleDiamond

No probs Randy, thanks for taking the time to reply in the first place, communication is what it's all about.:)

12. DoubleDiamond

Thanks cmp9ball, I did that. Much appreciated!

13. DoubleDiamond

Scroll up and read cpm9ball's (Amended) comment. Then come back to me if you still have a legitimate argument.

capthank likes this.
  14. DoubleDiamond

My mistake. cpm9ball's comment.

capthank likes this.
  15. Robert Ransom

Check that chip on your shoulder before you enter the CT Forum. You will turn off the members with your pompous attitude before you even gain a toe hold. I suspected you knew quite a bit about the subject and baited us with your thread by your response to Randy. Shame on you, you punk! Take your questions elsewhere.

16. cpm9ball

To be honest, I'm a bit confused. While I am not a collector of Ikes, I do have a copy of The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars, Second Edition by Wexler, Crawford and Flynn. (I like books!) On Page 29, it states that the 1976-D, Type I is common in grades MS60-MS64 and scarce in MS65. I find it a bit strange that the PCGS Coinfacts would list that an MS63 specimen sold for $14,000. I wonder when that was because my reference book, published in 2007, indicates that PCGS has graded more than 1700 in grades MS64-MS66.

17. Robert Ransom

Randy stated "Common Ike's" as in, run of the mill, everyday, find in loose change, millions minted coins. Do you get the nuance of his response? So now that you have acquired all of this knowledge, why don't you evaluate your own coins, one by one and answer your own question here on CT? I would be surprised if you did. You have been a member for 5 days and display a cocky 'gotcha' attitude. Great way to engender support from the CT. I speak for myself and not the other members.

johnyb, capthank, PlanoSteve and 2 others like this.
  18. DoubleDiamond

The plot thickens! With what you just wrote in-mind, it boggles the mind even further. That auction apparently was 05-21-2001 • Bowers & Merena.

19. paddyman98

I have a great suggestion for you..
    Send them to get graded then see what they are worth. The TPG's might give you a value. If not then they are worth face. This will answer your questions and resolve any misunderstandings here on CoinTalk!

Make sure you let us know the results ASAP!

Good luck!

20. cpm9ball

2001, huh?

Maybe the 1976-D Type I is the "1903-O Morgan" of its time. You see, the 03-O Morgan was thought to be very scarce until the Treasury releases of the early 1960's when bags and bags of them were discovered in the Treasury vaults. As a result, values plummeted.

Since the book wasn't published until 2007, it's a good possibility that whomever bought that $14K coin may have been crying in his beer a few years later.

capthank and slackaction1 like this.
  21. paddyman98

I can't.. I'm poor.. I have no money. I just look at CoinTalk threads and dream of having all these neat coins people share on a daily basis. :(

The shelter I live in gives me limited access to view this website :inpain:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.