Are any of these coins real?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Porhati, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Porhati

Porhati New Member

Hello

I bought a 8 coins for fun at an antique market. I am not a coin collector at all and only bought it because it looked nice. But when I got home I decided to search for the coins for fun to see if they were worth anything.

I will post the 3 coins I actually found some info on first.

The first two images is (supposedly if it is real) of a liberty Flowing Hair coin from 1795. IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg

The next two images if of a Japanese Trade Dollar: IMG_4521.jpg IMG_4527.jpg
    The third coin (again, if it real) is a Switzerland 1865 Shooting Thaler: IMG_4519.jpg IMG_4529.jpg

Again, I have no idea if any of these are real or not and I doubt their authenticity myself. (Because I am very pessimistic.) But if I am very lucky and at least one of them is authentic it would be great.

Thanks a lot for the help :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

None are really even close, sorry.

4. Porhati

Porhati New Member

That is what I thought:p. Thanks for quick reply.
    I will post pictures of the other coins too but I expect the same answer.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sorry, all fake

6. Porhati

Porhati New Member

Here are 3 more coins I have pics of. I don`t have any pics of the last 2 yet. These coins are probably fake too but I will post just to be sure;)

Coin 1:
    IMG_4538.jpg IMG_4539.jpg
    Coin 2:
    IMG_4511.jpg IMG_4514.jpg
    coin 3:
    IMG_4534.jpg IMG_4537.jpg

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

8. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

"Coin 2" is actually "real" in that it is not a fake of anything.

However, it is not a "coin" in the sense of being money.

It is one of a set of 18 pieces ("medals") commemorating the "Eighteen Arhats".

One side has the inscription 十八羅漢 which translates as "Eighteen Arhats" or "Eighteen Lohans".

The Chinese on the other side identifies this person as the "Eleventh Arhat" (第十一) whose name is Rahula (羅怙羅尊者) also known as the "Thinking Lohan".

Gary

harleytater likes this.
  9. Porhati

Porhati New Member

Great to hear that at least one of them is real. That it is not a coin does not matter. Thanks for the reply:)

Draft saved Draft deleted