Are all lock boxes / safes good for currency storage?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by xCoin-Hoarder'92x, Feb 17, 2016.

1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I'm now looking to buy myself a small safe (or something like that within $100-200 price range). Are there specific types that I should look for? I have many bags of world currency (about 2000 notes from Venezuela and other mixed currency). I have so many notes that buying sleeves for all of them would cost me more money than each of the notes are worth. I'd like suggestions.

I have a great understanding of environment/temperature/humidity and how it effects collection, but I'm still worried about oxygen eventually getting to things. It's inevitable and ziplocs don't keep air away from anything for very long.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

No safe or lock-box is air tight.
    If it's just fire protection you want, you can get it in your price range.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it depends on the value of your notes and how well you want to protect them. At an average of $.35 per mylar sleeve you're looking at about $700. Shop around and you can probably get a discount for 2,000 holders. As for storage, I keep desiccants in my safe and safety deposit box. I know the expense of mylar holders but I also know the expense of trying to replace the notes. Your choice.
    Oh, should you decide to go the mylar holder route, PM me and I'll recommend a few dealers I've dealt with over the years. Or just pose the question on this forum and you'll receive some good advice.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Excepting polymer bills, currency is mainly made from plant material, and since such plants produce oxygen, oxygen isn't as bad as water vapor, or especially acidic environmental gases. Unlike coins, paper documents need a low level of water vapor or they dry and start to breakdown into individual flakes and fibers. Museum and document storage facilities usually say about 20-40% WV is an acceptable range. Some collectors don't realize this and store their paper money in a safe with desiccators and cause more rapid damage. Water vapor can diffuse through polyethylene very very slowly, but still almost 60X faster than oxygen, so control the water vapor problem first. If you live in an extreme ( desert, Florida) you will have difficulties.I would allow paper to stabilize outside the safe in a day with proper humidity, and then double or triple zip lock bag it, and maybe months later, on same type of day, open the zips, allow paper to reach equilibrium , and rezip.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why bother buying a small safe. If someone broke into your home, they could just as easily take the whole safe with them. However, if you're worried about people who share the residence with you, just buy a deadbolt lock for you bedroom door.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Well, I'll agree to some degree with desertgem; however in our HUMID climate a small packet (size of a Sweet & Low or Salt or Equal) hasn't bothered my notes or checks for over 30 years. Personal preference I suppose, use or not use. I definitely was not suggesting a five pound bag. Of course I've kept mine in mylar holders too.

Draft saved Draft deleted