Are all cull silver coins junk silver

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ibuycoinsoffebay, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Like peace dollars and morgans

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

While there is no precise definition of this term, it generally applies to reasonably heavily circulated silver dimes, quarters, and halves of common dates.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

So much enthusiasm, so little background.

5. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

And a number of high mintage issues like 1986 S Statue of Liberty Modern Commemorative Silver Dollars,

excluding of course the exciting items like concave Baseball HOF hot mess designer Cassie McFarland Silver Dollars MS70 NGCs signed by Babe Ruth...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

Do NOT take this post seriously. While many modern commems make the "junk silver" category, by far not all do. My FULL set of Atlanta Olympics dollars in BU argue otherwise.

7. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Kurt, duly noted, I was in a hurry, have corrected. Cassie does not return my emails.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nope.

To me, "cull" means "badly worn or damaged" -- but you'll still get three figures for a holed or heavily-worn 1928-P Peace dollar, and dateless 1916 Standing Liberty quarters (you can still identify them from other parts of the design) still go for thousands.

In fact, rescuing better dates or varieties from cull lots is one of my favorite parts of the hobby, and it's been fairly lucrative.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Agreed, it can be fun and surprising, especially with buying cull lots from some of the larger dealers, such as APMEX and JMBULLION, who move so much inventory that some decent netter grades of common dates are sometimes mixed in, why I'm not sure but possibly because they run low on true culls and take the minor loss rather than not filling the order.

kkathyl0 likes this.
  10. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

no if you look at a Morgan dollar for example. Even a Cull of any year will be worth more then its silver value. Reason, simple the mintage of the year. I reserve the right to exclude anything cleaned in this comment :)

Draft saved Draft deleted