Are all ANACS Slabs "Worthless"?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cremebrule, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JD Williams

JD Williams New Member

IMHO, the small ANACS white holders are going up in price and becoming harder and harder to find.
    In 2009 I decided to put a Walker complete collection together in old ANACS white holders. I knew these holders were getting crossed to PCGS and NGC and wanted a modest collection to save the ANA history at the very least.
    It was fun and I found that the coins were either graded accurately or one grade under for the early slabs say through to mid 90's. ANACS went to a lager version of the two ANACS triangles on the back along with 7 digit certification numbers. It was in these later white slabs that the grading was sometimes a bit slack. I started trying to buy just 6 digits serial numbers.
    I lack 12 coins to complete the collection. Most of the 30's and all of the 40's are MS65 while the early issues are all Fine to EF with a few AU. This has been a blast.
    The price has steadly gone up since 2009 and now if you look at EBay sales history you'll be surprised to find that the ANACS coins listed under a "Buy it Now" tag are commanding PCGS list prices for 1916 through the mid 30's coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JD Williams

JD Williams New Member

Just a verification, the ANACS coins in the small white holders are selling at higher prices.

4. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say Wothless, rather Worth-Less. It's all about perception. Pepsi vs Coke, Ferrari vs. YUGO.

I once did an experiment. Watched an NGC coin that has been reduced in price over several months until finally at $100 bucks I bought it. Did Plastic surgery, and I sold it in a week at $850

TypeCoin971793 and serafino like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

More like Coke vs Mellow Yellow

6. JD Williams

JD Williams New Member

OK, I want one of those buys... lol

7. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

My one soap slab anacs went to pcgs recently. I was advised that if I ever wanted to sell it I'd need to cross it for highest dollar. I won't post photos of it because someone complained to me I posted it too often.

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Most of the ones which were accurately/undergraded by today’s standards have already been picked over and cracked out. Many of the ones I’ve seen have unmentioned cleanings and the like. However, I like problem-free AU bust halves in ANACS holders because I can oftern get them for much cheaper than their PCGS and NGC counterparts. :)

But you are still at the whim of however the grader feels on the particular instant he/she grades your coin.

Yes, but they are few and far between. It would take forever to sell your coin at its value if it isn’t a high-demand piece or if many are already certified.

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’ve heard that if you try to do a crossover at PCGS, they will be brutal on the grades. However, if you crack them out and resubmit, then the grades would be as high, if not higher, then what was on the slab originally.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Crossover grading is always the most conservative because it has to be done through the plastic. To make it worse on the old holders the rims and edges are hidden so nothing ever gets the benefit of the doubt.

11. spenser

spenser Active Member

I don't buy ANACS coins. They tend to be over graded. Only buy PCGS and NGC

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

So, you are buying the holder, not the coin. You are missing out on a lot of nice coins. I have paid full price for better date MS65 Morgans in SEG holders that later crossed to PCGS. It actually had a shot of going 66. A coin I would have missed out on if I had been a snob.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

So what? They guarantee authenticity and are really good at variety attributions. Just deduct 1-2 points from the grade if you believe they’re generally too lenient. Oh and don’t forget to “buy the coin...”

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  14. spenser

spenser Active Member

Yeah, buy the coin. That's exactly what I'm talking about and what I've been doing for 45yrs. If you like them, then by all means buy them. Do whatever makes you happy. But, don't cry when it comes time to sell. I'm not being a smart ass. Just voicing my opinion.

15. spenser

spenser Active Member

By the way. Lenient means under grading. Generous means over.

TheFinn likes this.
  16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Some of my nicest coins have come from ANACS holders. If you pass on ANACS coins, just because of the plastic, you will limit yourself unnecessarily. By the way, this is a 6 year old thread, and I posted the same sentiments 6 years ago.

JPeace$ and chascat like this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I three have several very nice older ANACS slabs which I will cherish to the end!

19. JD Williams

JD Williams New Member

Jpeace great coin.
    Notice the two red triangles on the back of the slab and the 6 digit numbers. I have several of these and find the grading right on or under graded just to be conservative. Always of course buy the coin not the slab.
    In my opinion I think that these holders were the first to be used after 1990, shortly after they changed the Red Triangle to Green. Still 6 digits, and finally they redid the slab itself and went with a gold trade mark triangle. I'll put some PICS together to illustrate this.

I would still have to have someone in the organization to help me with the dates.

I would love to be able to talk with someone in the know that was with ANA then stayed on with ANACS as a grader. Just after a time line. All the info I've found online is not referenced and to someone who can verify a few dates etc.

It's worth pointing out that the people who bought ANA in 1990, didn't want to lose either the continuity or the good solid reputation that the ANA folks had. PCGS was just starting up at that time and did a fine job branding their product and presenting it to the numismatist community

ANACS want to build a good company they need to start bringing their whole history into play and pointing out some of the strong success stories that they enjoyed. Then tie that ANA brand to the existing group.

I'll start making some contacts a see what if any, interest there may be.

JD

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

then look again.

I have a number of current [recently graded] ANACS holders that are very strictly graded.
    Including a number of Barber quarters undergraded by a point [grade] or two.

They are extremely harsh on cleaning.

micbraun likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Correct, the red triangles were the first after Amos Press bought ANACS they were 1990, they had a six character serial number consisting of letters and numbers. Then in 1991 or 92 a barcode was added to the front label and the serial number went to all numerals. This lasted til 1997 when the logos were changed to green. In April 2000 the barcode was changed adding two more characters to it. The serial number is now seven digits but I don't know if it changed at the same time as the barcode or if the seven digit number was introduced earlier. On Aug 18, 2005 the font of the front label was changed. In Feb 2006 the new curved bottom slabs were introduced and the small white slabs were reserved for problem coins, these come with at least two different front labels, possibly three and the reverse logo was changed. In April 2007 the first fake ANACS small white slabs appeared and within a couple months the small white slabs were discontinued and the round bottom slabs were used for both problem and problem free slabs.

These are just the high points there are at least a half dozen other variations in size and slight changes in the insert.

And I haven't even begun to discuss the varieties in the blue and gold label slabs.

Pickin and Grinin and micbraun like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted