Are all ANACS Slabs "Worthless"?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cremebrule, Jun 24, 2012.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I have a couple of the soap bars which I bought in about 1988. Both are properly graded or maybe under. I also have a couple of newer yellow slabs which also grade properly. I also have a set of new anacs slabs with the 2014 Kennedy high relief clads, graded sp69. I bought them cheap, but they do grade in the high range, maybe 68 without question. On the other hand, of the many NGC and PCGS slabs I own, about 10% may be over graded and several are under graded. From what I can see, They all make mistakes on a regular basis. So as I have always done, buy the book but not the cover.

Tater and TJ1952 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Guys ,stop the hissy fight. You are both being immature! There is no fault on just the posts of one or the other. So warning to all, continuation of such will result in bad mojo. Jim

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

"Brand loyalty" is just insurance to protect your investment and herd the sheeple to your item. Learn how to grade yourself,"First grade" in Coin World Magazine comes every month and this group is a godsend to us numismatists for ALL types of and refreshers constantly updates us,THANKS TO ALL!

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

ANACs application of the PL standard is iffy, I've had a couple cross to NGC, and I've had a couple not cross. Their DMPL standard is also variable.

However, the UDMs are just spectacular. They are hard to find, but they are no question DMPLs when you do find them.

This is, of course, assuming they got the grade right. Which, they are 50/50 on.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

No, they are not worthless.

8. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

And with all the fake coins out there, it's great to know that a coin is genuine. A slabbed coin does give you some peace of mind.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

ANACS soap bar Morgans with a "UDM" designation seem to be the überDMPLs... I get that. But what about cameo PL/DMPLs? As far as I have seen, only ANACS calls some Morgans "cameo". Are those the coins with super-frosty devices?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

...and to answer the OP's question: No they're not worthless!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456714540.311298.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'll take the top 2 corners please :D

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Good eye, you caught the Trade Dollar and the rainbow CC ;-)

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, took all of 2 seconds :cool:

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The dime's nice too but, ya know, it's a dime lol

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I never said any such thing!!! ;)

TypeCoin971793, Sean5150 and Cascade like this.
  16. Kellen Coin

Kellen Coin YN With MANY Coin Accounts

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If you look at it from a strict rarity standpoint, the issue we're ridiculing here has it in spades by comparison to its' peers. What it lacks - so far - is the other half of the value equation, demand. Nobody can project what will happen with that aspect in the long term.

mikenoodle likes this.
  18. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

The cost of the plastic in a slab is very small. There might be a bit more plastic in the older ones - or newer ones. You'd have to trade in bulk plastics to understand the cost difference. :woot:

What matters is the coin inside. o_O

Speaking as an "end user" guy that is purely a hobbyist - I've used all 3, and for different reasons. I believe that each has their good and bad points, and they grade different coins differently. Knowing this, I try to use it to my advantage.

As for ANACS themselves, I use them most frequently because I'm looking to validate MY COINS and MY GRADE. They are certainly the friendliest, and the most affordable - especially when they have their sales/specials.

I just went through my entire Morgan/Peace collection and sent in a large group. The savings was amazing over what I would have paid the other two. Their Dollars and Cents special allowed me to get a lot of common date coins graded and slabbed, that would not have been worth it financially at the other two.

They will validate that your coins are real - this is the most important. As good as I like to think I am, I always value a professional opinion. Their validation on key date coins gives peace of mind - regardless of grade.

They are the friendliest to deal with! I just had a personal call. I flubbed a bit on my submission. They straightened it all out, and got it through processing for me quickly. I am truly an anonymous number with PCGS and NGC. I'm ok with that - at least I know where I stand.

I believe their grades are accurate, and I've been able to buy ANACS graded coins at a lesser cost - good for me! I've actually crossed 3 ANACS coins into PCGS and NGC holders by breaking them out and submitting as raw. I had 2 come back as equal grades, one got a *PLUS* bump on the grade. I'm not saying this always happens - but for the most part, I've never seen any of their stuff mis-graded to the naked eye. I don't have a lot of exposure to anything outside of my collection - and mine is rather small. But my personal experience has been good.

So to answer your question - yes ANACS slabs are worthless. I'll keep spreading the rumor and buying their slabs cheap - knowing that ignorance of a brand name is at stake - and the coin inside is not even being considered. :cigar:

SuperDave likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

As far as anacs grading I think their a bit more inconsistent then ngc and pcgs. But can be either high or low. I do think they tend to net grade problem coins more too. I've mostly bought and cracked newer anacs slabs as the cost of resubmission to the big 2 is balanced by a more salable coin plus I think the bile yellow slabs are plain fugly beyond anacs tho I consider everything else might as well be raw

20. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Remember, ANACS is not a monolith. The grading standards applied during ANA ownership, Amos Press Ownership, Anderson Press ownership and now under DrivingForce LLC are not the same.

Saying "ANACS grading" is like saying "South Asia" - both cover a lot of territory!

Gilbert likes this.
  21. James S

James S Low Mintage

I purchase from NGC and PCGS simply because if I ever do sale them I will make more money than I would if they were graded by ANACS, I'm not at all saying ANACS is a bad company or worthless and have seen several nice coins that they have slabbed.

James S.

Draft saved Draft deleted