Are all ANACS Slabs "Worthless"?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cremebrule, Jun 24, 2012.

1. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Was that this special?

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/Specials/DollarsandCents_Special1.aspx

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No it wasn't, had to check. It was in October 2015.

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks.

KSorbo likes this.
  5. William47

William47 New Member

I think Anacs are the strictest graders personally.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It may just be my own opinion - haven't exactly examined "hundreds" of them - but old ANACS UDM's seem to me to be the absolute pinnacle of reflectivity and they were rather tougher than anyone else on mirrored coins back then.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that ANACS uses a minimum of 8" reflectivity for UDM, whereas, NGC (?) and/or PCGS (?) use 12". Is that an older standard, or is that a current measure?

Chris

8. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

Since you won't take my word for anything, I'll just post a link to the Anacs website.

http://www.anacs.com/(A(NGB9bZZdzAEkAAAAYmI3MTg3ODQtMzdlMC00YTE5LTg1NDgtMDUyNjgyYWQwNThiglxR5jTqqD6DKVzy4ZO4S6_nfo01)S(zo2emc550o52jf45epnqj5ik))/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=8

Anacs UDM need 12" mirrors

Here's a link to PCGS, if you click on "more" next to DMPL, it will say at least 6" mirrors

http://www.pcgs.com/grades/

Once again, your information is incorrect.

9. cpm9ball

I wasn't talking to the village idiot. I was asking for information from someone who knows more.

Chris

10. Sean5150

Now you're getting downright mean. You are the one who is incorrect, and that's why I posted links from the actual TPGs to prove your ignorance. You can call me names all you want, you are just proving my point.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I get lost on this topic with ANACS. I believe their standards have changed back and forth over the years. I can't keep track of what they used and when.

12. cpm9ball

Speaking the truth isn't being mean. Go cry to mommy if you don't like it. You still don't get it!

Chris

13. Sean5150

You're the one who doesn't get it! You are wrong. You're not speaking any truth. And saying "go cry to mommy if you don't like it" shows that you are also immature.

14. Sean5150

LOL it's on their website!

15. cpm9ball

Poor baby!

Chris

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes it's on their web site today but what was it in the past? They have a history of changing standards. As I said, I can't keep up with the standards they have used and when.

17. Sean5150

You're still wrong! Incorrect! Mistaken! It must get you all riled up to have the village idiot prove you wrong. What does that make you?

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Unsure. This is a place where I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

There is another exception along with authenticity of the coin and that is when the label authenticates a meaningful provenance.

20. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Man, did you guys stay up all night arguing?
    Do me a favor and stop bouncing it from thread 2 thread, I can't keep up;)

Mainebill likes this.
  21. Sean5150

The article on the website was from 2007. In 1991, when they introduced UDM coins, the standard was 12". I think it's fair to say their UDM standard has always been 12" until 2007, but I would hazard a guess and say it still is 12".

Draft saved Draft deleted