Are all ANACS Slabs "Worthless"?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cremebrule, Jun 24, 2012.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What exactly is the coin and what is its grade ? I ask because as was mentioned before, in many cases it is not worth the extra expense to have a coin crossed. It is the coin that determines that. So if you answer my question then I can give an opinion if you should try or not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Agree, if you can find an under graded ANACS coin, and crack it out or crack and resubmit. I still feel that PCGS and NGC bring more money to the table in a two party meeting of the minds--definitely NOT putting down earlier ANACS plastic, as I have had many nice coins in those holders. THe raw coin market is tough, as you know, and expert grading is essential. I would not call my grading "expert" by any means--I am a decent grader, who makes mistakes like everybody else.

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I like these slabs as well. I bought the slab, not the coin on these. I probably over paid. 10 bucks a piece. Not that it matters but I noticed the slabs were in consecutive order.

S20160212_001.jpg S20160212_002.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

No, ANACS is not worthless. Their grade "opinions" are highly variable, and carry zero weight. Treat them as raw, and grade them for yourself.

However, they are generally regarded to be quite proficient at attributions. A DDO or variety labelled on a slab can generally be trusted quite well.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't pay to send a coin to ANACS. The holder is cheesy, and the "grade" is often off by a point or two. The variety attribution of NGC and PCGS is just as good, and their slabs carry a whole lot more value in the secondary market.

jester3681 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

When I walk a show and see an old ANACS slab I will buy it ,if it contains a coin or series I collect 9 times out of 10!

Stevearino, TJ1952 and dwhiz like this.
  7. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

What about their "UDM" coins? Sometimes I see them sell for more than PCGS.

8. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'll repeat the adage: Buy the coin, not the slab!

It's true ANACS is not as well respected as NGC or PCGS. However, to apply the adage, when buying *ANY* coin, regardless of the slab it's in, you should thoroughly examine it and determine if you agree with the grade. In addition, examine things like strike, eye appeal, toning, variety, etc. These things will help you decide what you're willing to pay.

For me, being slabbed by one of the top four -- NGC, PCGS, ANACS, or ICG -- tells me the coin is genuine and not a counterfeit. Other than that, it's up to me, not the grader.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Are all ANACS Slabs "Worthless"?

NO!

10. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

Are all ANACS Slabs "Worthless"? "ANACS is not as well respected as NGC or PCGS".

I find no Slab to be worthless. I also find it difficult to assign respect for any of the TPG service's if the criteria is how accurate and consistent their grading is. We are all graders whither or not we claim to be. We disagree with the grade on a slab every time it comes back in a weaker grade than we hoped it to be. We compare same date coins slabbed by different services, and we compare grades of same date coins slabbed by the same TPGer. What we find is, nothing is ever constant. No matter the service we may find a much more accurately graded coin in an ANACS, or PCGS, or ICG or NGC slab, yet, because of the build up hype and political interference we have been conditioned to believe the "top two" are the only way to go if we are to ever sell them for top dollar. What we believe is not always the truth. The only winners are the dealers who push the holder and the loser is the collector who falls for it.

If you are into coins for fun and also future investment, then you must buy the coin every time. Somewhere in the future the graders may run out of ways to "re-holder" our coins and, hopefully, there will emerge a real industry standard that we can all agree on. (But not likely) At the very least, accuracy in identifying a coins true particulars should never be left to amateurs. Grading on the other hand will always be in the eye of the owner.

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I treat ALL SLABS as raw coins.

silentnviolent and jester3681 like this.
  12. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I wish I would've took photos for this thread, I just looked at 2 peace $ in ms65 NGC slabs. Both were barely 64s. Meanwhile I've bought countless Anacs holdered Morgan and Peace that were solid for the grade and/or undergraded, specifically in the 63-64-65 range. John Roberts(Anacs) is one of the best in the business at variety and vam attribution. Who can say other?

Cascade likes this.
  13. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Slabs are convenient holders that protect my coins. The TPGs are nice enough to assign a number, so they also help in cataloguing my collection. PCGS takes nicer pictures than I do, for only $5 more.

TypeCoin971793 and Cascade like this.
  14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

No argument here . . . Like I wrote above, I treat all slabs as raw coins, ANACS included.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's not really a conditioning, the market has consistently demonstrated that if you want PCGS or NGC prices it has to be in their slabs. Great Collections, Ebay, Heritage ect all show the same sale results with ANACS selling for a discount and ICG selling for an even further discount. The small white ANACS holders are a little different story and yes you can find outliers if you look hard enough, but overall PCGS/NGC do bring higher sale prices.

16. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

What you say is true, but we have got to this place because of perception brought on by hype, political posturing, and a willingness to be led. It really doesn't have that much to do with the actual coin.
    The forced acceptance of these "top graders" was brought on by political scheming of some big dealers, big TPG services and ANA, who sold an idea to eBay, because of some real and perceived abuse in the grading industry. Struggling companies trying to find their way were cast aside to live forever in obscurity. No matter that a couple of them were actually better at the craft than the bigger boys. Now, it all comes down to who makes us feel more important. And sadly, its all about the label. Kinda like when you were in school and the cool kids looked at the label in your shirt to see if you were worthy to speak to them.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I know a day trader that says he doesn't care one bit about why markets are moving he only responds to price action. I'm saying this because this thread is reminding me of him in terms of who cares why or what factors led to it or what these companies pasts are... the tpg market of today is what it is. If it changes "tomorrow" and anacs for instance suddenly becomes the top tpg for whatever reason we will all be shifting to them. Today's tpg market is what it is and tomorrow may be different

Stevearino and Copper56 like this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Both services have gotten better in the past few years but before that they were horrible. And even with the recent ones you would be well advised to confirm any attributions personally. For attributions they still can't hold a candle to ANACS or SEGS. In fact it should tell you something that NGC will not guarantee their attributions. You buy an NGC slab for the attribution on the coin in it and it turns out to be wrong, so sorry but NGC is not responsible and you are due no compensation.

micbraun, silentnviolent and Copper56 like this.
  19. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

True words! I've seen, at more than one show, NGC trot a coin over to SEGS for his expertise on authenticity and variety.

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I currently have my first anacs submission on its way back now. It was in "consult" for over a week. I used them because I had about 8 72p talonhead ikes which are kinda rare and a few 71d talonheads which only anacs will label attribute & research plus an unlisted 42p war nick and 66 kennedy ddo's. They had a Christmas special so I figured why not

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Just a couple of months ago I sent 10 coins over to ANACS and I was very pleased with their service and grades. If you ask me, some collectors get too hung up on brand name. Most of the collectors who talk smack against ANACS are pro PCGS or NGC, that's obvious. Don't trust everything you read on forums to form an opinion. Or just try a crossover and see what happens, let us know what happens. good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted