Are 2020(P) "Emergency Issue" silver eagle over priced?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MorganDollarGuy, May 25, 2020.

1. I'm seeing NGC/PCGS slabbed 2020(P) "Emergency Issue" silver eagle. The look of the coin seems identical to the (cheaper) regular 2020(W) silver eagle. Do you believe the 2020(P) "Emergency Issue" silver eagle is worth the premium?

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

worth the premium?
    No

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes there will be a premium as they are a P mint coin, how much of a premium is the question. The P do sell for more than the W or S though and that is long established. Different years of the P have different premiums

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

According to Mike "The Mouth", yes! ~ Chris

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

john65999, capthank and ZoidMeister like this.
  7. baseball21

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Take the coin out of the slab and there is zero way to differentiate a normal from an "emergency issue" ASE. All marketing gimmicks.

9. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Didn’t you hear? TPGs are essential and keep collectors from being fleeced....:meh:

10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

One more reason I will never use one. They are just about as bad as the HSN Coin Show guys IMO.

11. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Yes they're overpriced, but the reason for the gouging is that there were only 240,000 minted at the Philadelphia Mint. That'll probably end up being a drop in the bucket compared to how many are minted at West Point. Therefore, you pay an overpriced premium for the 'proof' that it came from Philadelphia.

capthank likes this.
  12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Just more "carnival" hype from both the Mint and their TPGs buddies...Momboff!..."A fool and his money are soon parted"

13. baseball21

So sad, guy asked a question and gets this

Virginian likes this.
  14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I would be hesitant to buy a coin where ~90% of its value would evaporate if it was broken out of the holder. While I respect that some may collect these ASE variations, I don’t really think the 2020-(P) is worth the premium in my eyes.

15. chascat

So sorry for my lack of tolerance with Silver Eagles in recent months.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Honestly, I fail to see where this coin — with no mint mark — is worth the huge premiums being asked for by sellers. I believe the same thing happened a few years back. Anyone know what those ASEs are going for today?

SchwaVB57 and capthank like this.
  17. chascat

On E-Bay they ask around $65 for MS70 slabs, a small bit more than for the regular issues...The subject coin has a mintage of around a quarter million, a very high figure in my way of thinking, compared to the few who collect the oddballs. I doubt they will hold their value for long...just my opinion.

Terrifrompa and capthank like this.
  18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps in hindsight the mint realized how much they left on the table with last year’s reverse proof ASE’s. I wasn’t a participant in that feeding frenzy, but darned if those prices didn’t go sky high for the few that got them and flipped them.

capthank likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

"Emergency Issue. Rare. One of a kind. Special Issue. Only a few available." etc. etc. etc. are all phases I tend to take with a grain of salt. They wish to sell a lot and make money. Sorry, they won't be getting mine.

21. baseball21

There's no difference in the mint price and the P are sold the same way the W and S are

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted