Featured Ardashir I: Dawn of the Sasanians

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I do have this one that I bought at auction for $24 including auction fees and shipping.

Sassanian Kingdom, Khusro II 590-628, Drachm.jpeg
    Sassanian Kingdom, Khusro II 590-628
    AR Drachm 3.77g
    Obv: Head of Khusro II right wearing an ornate winged crown
    Rev: Two fire attendants facing, a fire altar between. Mint name to right, date to left. . BBA mint, Year 30

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Unlike all the drachma posted here, the obverse of my first coin (Khusro II) has an additional significant lettering on the outer lower field at around 5 o'clock. It looks Arabic to me. Can you please interpret this?

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thanks to those answering my book question. Those new to the subject will be amazed at the huge number of different coins (mints, dates, details) of Khusro II which outnumber all the rest of the Sasanians by a good number. Those of us who do not read the language can be thankful for the fact the kings had distinctive crowns.

TJC and Pellinore like this.
  5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

It is in Pahlavi (the type of Persian script used by the Sasanians, and distinct from modern Persian [Farsi]) and says "Afid" (Praise). This is found on some of Khusro II's drachms, but not all. Some of the early Arab-Sasanian drachms do have an Arabic inscription "Bismillah" (In the name of God) in that spot, but yours definitely says "Afid".

Pellinore and 7Calbrey like this.
  6. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great OP coins and write up!!!

7. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Finally found my Shapur I photos:)
    ShapurOx340.jpg ShapurRx340.jpg

8. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

bgr_464565.jpg Hi Guys

I just bought a coin from a french dealer and it is hemidrachm of ardashir I . It is 2gr . I attached the image. Do you think it is authentic? I am a bit worried of cast fake since I see some small holes on the surface . Does the toning look natural? I really appreciate if some experts here can shed some light on this.

Alegandron, randygeki and Parthicus like this.
  9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Looks fine to me...

10. arashpour

Thanks @Severus Alexander . But do you notice small pits on field and bust ? isnt that casting effect?

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Just looks like dings and ordinary corrosion on impure silver to me. When you get the coin, look at it under high magnification and see if they look like bubbles (perfectly regular & spherical).

12. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I agree with @Severus Alexander, the coin looks good to me. There is some slight roughness on the surface, but it doesn't look like casting bubbles. A nice coin, I would be proud if it were part of my collection.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  13. arashpour

Thanks alot @Parthicus and @Severus Alexander indeed it is a nice coin if real. I loved the tone and high relief I just hope its a real and then it will be one of my good coins in my collection.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  14. Samuel Louis

Samuel Louis New Member

very good coin and great article Mr. Parthicus

15. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I am currently looking for a nice Shahpur I since his reign had such profound and traumatic impact on Rome. Ardashir certainly laid the groundwork for what was about to happen. Great write-up and a well deserved featured post.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When you compare the metal and the workmanship of Shapur I and Valerian I, it almost makes sense who ended up whose footstool.
    oa0520bb1856.jpg

Bing, Parthicus, Pellinore and 2 others like this.
  17. arashpour

@Pellinore Thanks for pics. What do you think of my Ardashir I coins? Is it authentic? its weight is 3.9 which is lighter than normal weights of 4.2 but also it has some surface pits on the crown of Ardashir which makes me think it is cast. I appreciate your help. Ardashir I.jpg 20171211_232836.jpg 20171211_232855.jpg

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I think your coin is alright. 3,9 gr. is o.k. Sasanian coins often have those little dents and dots in the field. No need to think of cast forgeries immediately. By the way, that hemidrachm of yours is pretty rare. You see 50 times as many drachms as hemidrachms (they were only issued by the first few kings).

Draft saved Draft deleted