Archive grade paper

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Factor, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

I am searching for an archive grade paper for coin descriptions. I keep my coins in trays, so they get in direct contact with the paper. I guess the paper should be acid free (buffered as well?) and rather dense so the labels will not fly away every time I pull the tray out. Any suggestions for brand and where to find it?

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Comic book backing boards maybe? You could get a lot of labels just out a single board.

Factor, Ed Snible and Stevearino like this.
  4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I bought an acid free artist's sketchbook and a punch from Amazon.

Factor and Stevearino like this.
  5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Both Gaylord and The Library Store have large archival supply inventories. They must have archival paper too.

Factor likes this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Try scrapbooking supplies - a lot of acid-free paper is used.

Factor, Mountain Man and Stevearino like this.
  8. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I use acid free thesis paper, which can be found online or in any office supply store. I print my tray tickets on this paper. As a buffer, I cut squares of non-pvc plastic from saflips and lay a piece atop the printed ticket creating a clear window. I lay the coin on the window.

9. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Lots of good suggestions above.

Technically, acid-free paper does not exist. What the term means is paper buffered to a neutral or slightly alkaline pH, often with bicarbonate. You want to get paper that is not wood pulp-based. Rag paper made from cotton is best. You probably want a paper with a relatively smooth surface.

Art supply stores will have many options at many price points.

Factor likes this.
  10. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Probably correct if I were laying coins directly on the paper. In my case, coin goes on the non-pvc window. I only use the thesis paper to avoid yellowing over time and maintain a consistent look in my trays.

Factor likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Hobby stores and most big box office supply stores carry different thicknesses of archival paper.

Factor likes this.
  12. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the input! I have decided to try Strathmore 500 Series Mixed Media Board. It is heavy, 100% cotton and acid free, will see how it works.

13. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Paper is very abrasive. I would not put coins in direct contact with paper lose in trays. The sliding will wear the coins very quickly.

Barry Murphy

14. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

You could also try checking with art supply stores. I'm pretty sure they sell acid-free paper stock.

Draft saved Draft deleted