Archers galore!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DBDc80, Jan 13, 2019.

1. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Hey guys....snowed in tonight here in Ohio.....thought i'd break out some coins and have a fun little photo shoot! The Parthians were excellent archers, and the skill was so revered as a means of fighting, they decided to depict archers on the reverse of their coinage. Here is a photo showing the evolution of the archer, Arsaces I on the reverse of the Parthian drachms. Also included is a tiny chalkous depicting the seated archer. Hope you enjoy, and as always, lets see what you got! 20190113_010047.jpg 20190113_010252.jpg

Aidan_(), Pavlos, Orfew and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are some lovely looking parthians.

DBDc80 likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I always marvel at the variety of type available on Parthian bronzes and, to lesser degree on tetradrachms, while the drachms are 99% archers. Worse, where is an archer doing anything different (shooting, riding)?

My only non-conformist is from Vonones I, the least Parthian of the Parthians.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vonones_I
    op0175bb3193.jpg

Alegandron, Parthicus, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice batch of Parthians you got there, DBDc80. Doug does have a point - Parthia was very conservative in their choice of designs for the drachms. I've never seen one with an obverse inscription - I'm guessing this is a pretty scarce type.

My favorite aspect to them is the portraits, many which seem to embody the Eastern Potentate and a nice East-meets-West look to them:

Parthia drachm Oct 2017.pg.jpg

Parthia - Drachm
    Orodes II
    (57-38 B.C.)

Rhagae Mint
    short-bearded bust left, torque ending in pellet, star before & crescent behind, no wart / Archer seated rt., Greek inscription, mint monogram.
    Sellwood 47.8

Alegandron, Parthicus, DBDc80 and 4 others like this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent coins @DBDc80!
    I've got to up my archer game!
    Here's one...
    archer_closeup-56a00f9f3df78cafda9fde1c.png
    Oh, and a coin:
    CollageMaker Plus_2018111018957730.png

OrodesI
    Hellenistic Monarchies, The
    Parthian Kingdom - 80-77 BC.
    AR Drachm (17mm, 3.35g).
    Rhagae. Bust wearing a tiara
    with eight pointed star in centre
    to left, with short beard / Archer
    seated right on throne, seven
    line inscription. cf S.7389,
    Sellwood 31.6.Former Kairos
    Numismatik

zumbly, Alegandron, Parthicus and 3 others like this.
  7. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

indeed....a Walther PPK would level the field for sure! :hurting:

Ryro likes this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A kind of related subject, but of possible interest to those interested in ancient archery. Moderators please delete if considered too off topic:
    "Roman army" archer's thumb ring. Romans were great warriors, but terrible bowmen, so the Roman army employed auxiliaries from local tribes and others, like Scythians and Cretans, to name two. this is an ancient archer's ring. It has a beautiful dark green patina. It is written that auxiliary archers were first employed by the Roman armies during the reign of the Roman emperor Galba circa 68-69 AD. Wear and use of the archer's thumb ring is demonstrated by the below video. Please copy and paste the URL into your browser if it is not "active"
    Archer'sRingSize13.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Apparently that link doesn't work anymore. Sorry about that.
    Here is one that seems to work:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    DBDc80 likes this.
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A descendant of those famous archers? Note the picture on the wall behind him.

11. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Parthians? Nope, never heard of 'em...

Draft saved Draft deleted