Arcadius maybe? Need help with an LRB (and 2 new Antioch SCs)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

First off, Merry Christmas to all. I hope you are all having a jolly time. As for me, I've been eating too much and teasing my nephews about their girlfriends.

Year end eBay sales find me picking up all sorts of stray stuff on the cheap. In this case, three small AEs, which I was interested in because of the little Antioch SCs, which I am increasingly becoming a fan of. The lot included an LRB I have been trying to figure out. LRB's often baffle me, and I thought this would be a hopeless case, but I think I came close.

The problem: both Arcadius and Honorius had identical issues from Alexandria like this - and the front half of the obverse legend is obscure, leaving a clear "VS" which applied to both emperors. I went with Arcadius because the VS break is IVS in some of the Honorius examples I saw. But heck if I know.

RIC X 75 (Arcadius)
    RIC X 76 (Honorius)

Arcadius - AE from lot Dec 2019a.jpg Arcadius - AE from lot Dec 2019det.jpg

Arcadius Æ 15
    (395-401 A.D.)
    Alexandria Mint

DN[ARCAD] IVS PF AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust r./ [VIRTVS EXER]CITI
    Arcadius standing, resting hand on shield; crowned by Victory r., holding palm, ALEA in exergue.
    RIC X 75; Sear 20833.
    (2.15 grams / 15 mm)

Attribution Note:
    This could be Honorius RIC X 76; Sear 21032. The obverse legend to the left would
    be "HONORI" - VS. Since the left side is "IVS PF AVG" with the "I" included, it matches Arcadius issues better.

So am I on the right track? Any help greatly appreciated.

Here's the whole lot: Antoninus Pius and Elagabalus are the Antioch SC's, I believe. The portrait on the Elagabalus looks more like Severus Alexander to me, but after ransacking the Internet, the obv. inscription and reverse design seems more a match for Elagabalus (again, corrections greatly appreciated!)

_Lot - Antioch SC & Arcadius Dec 2019 (0).jpg

Elagabalus Æ 18
    (c. 218-222 A.D.)
    Syria, Seleucis & Pieria
    Antiochia ad Orontem

A[YT K M AY[Ρ C ANTΩNINOC, laureate head right. / SC in wreath terminating
    in a star, Δ above, Є below.
    BMC 440; SNG Cop. 244.
    (4.87 grams / 18 mm)

Note:
    "Example of the rare variant showing the use of the name Severus in the legend, as
    determined with the letter C after AYP."

Not sure this is "rare" as I found several "C" types online.

Antoninus Pius Æ 18
    (138-161 A.D.)
    Syria, Seleucis & Pieria
    Antiochia ad Orontem

ΑVΤ Κ[ΑΙ...] ΑΝΤ[WΝƐ...], laureate head right / S•C within wreath, Γ above, eagle standing facing wings spread below.
    RPC III, 7007; McAlee 11; BMC 323, 326 and 331.
    (3.37 grams / 18 mm)

Attribution Notes:
    Obv.: Full legend mostly gone; RPC online has it thusly: ΑVΤ ΚΑΙ ((Τ(Ι)) Α(Ι(Λ))
    Α(ΔΡ(Ι)) ΑΝΤWΝƐΙΝΟϹ Ϲ(ƐΒ(Α)) ƐV
    Rev.: eagle is missing most details (legs and right wing are barely visible).

Andres2, Bing, thejewk and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure its Arcadius you got there.
    same coin, different mint:

Arcadius son.JPG

Bing likes this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thank you, Andres2! I appreciate the confirmation of my hunch. Yours is a lot nicer than mine - I like how Victory is really having to stretch to reach the emperor.

Draft saved Draft deleted