Arcadius Contemporary Imitation?..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Recent pick up...Really like the look of this little coin...But can't seem to find anything similar...
    12mm
    Obverse-DNARCA-DIVSAVG?
    Reverse-SALVS REI-PVBLICAE? Staurogram in left field.
    Maybe ? MN ? In exergue
    Anyone have or seen anything like this....Info really appreciated..

1-20190525_un3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Likely an imitation. Here are a couple of examples included in @Valentinian's excellent guide to RIC volume IX. (So "imitation of Esty type 39.")

Cool coin!!

Johndakerftw, TIF, Spaniard and 2 others like this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Those late-4th, early 5th century bronzes were widely imitated. I have dozens of them, most of which I'll never be able to pin down. Considering how crudely many of the official coins were rendered, often with goofy-looking portraits, it's often not possible to distinguish official coins from imitations.

Yours could be an imitation, but I can't tell one way or the other. If it is an imitation, it's a pretty good one. I like the style.

You see MN in the exergue. In the photo it looks more like RN or AN. I don't think this type was minted in Rome, but Antioch might be a possibility (if it is official). You might poke around the internet, maybe starting with Wildwinds, for images of coins of this type from Antioch.

Spaniard likes this.
  5. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!....Did some digging and I'm still pretty convinced its an imitation...
    Possibly Antioch or Nicomedia..One of the main factors being the PF missing in the obverse legend..?

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Yes, I think the blundered obverse legend is pretty diagnostic, at least for Arcadius. In my experience @gsimonel's observations about shoddy official mint product apply more to later issues.

7. Valens

Valens Well-Known Member

And this is my imitation. A4 (SALUS) pretending to be AE3 VIRTVS-EXERCITI
    A barbaric imitation to the detriment of the issuer. In Lanz, often described as a coin of Vandals, it would even fit. It turns out that their pirate state not only plundered but also a large-scale forgery.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sulla80, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted