Arcadius - Ae4s

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I seem to have amassed and small collection of Arcadius Ae4s.
    None of them are 'prizeworthy', (although No 10 is a 'fine' example where most have not aged well), but I am intrigued with the different reverses. There is a large variation.

(5) ARCADIUS RIC X Cyzicus 66b.jpg
    (1) ARCADIUS RIC IX Alexandria 20c.jpg (2) ARCADIUS RIC IX Alexandria 21 var.jpg (3) ARCADIUS RIC IX Antioch 69c.jpg (4) ARCADIUS RIC IX Cyzicus 27b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    medvet, randygeki, dadams and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

(6) ARCADIUS RIC IX 26c.jpg (7) Arcadius Three Emperors RIC.IX.151.jpg (8) ARCADIUS RIC X.Antioch 70.jpg (9) ARCADIUS RIC.X.Constantinople 60.jpg (10) ARCADIUS RIC IX Nicomedia 45c.jpg
    Now that I have a closer look, there are only six 'different' reverses with four 'duplicates.'

Please post yours.

medvet, randygeki, dadams and 11 others like this.
  4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I love the late Roman AE coins from Valentinian and later (AD 364ff). I wrote this site on them:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/

The coins from the first post are types 45, 39, 41, 42, and 41, respectively.

The whole period has a nice mix of many inexpensive common coins in pleasing condition with some rarities it will take you a long time to find. It has mini-series you can set as goals (e.g. for each type, you can aim for an "emperor set" with one from each emperor in whose name it was issued) or an emperor's "type set" (one of each type issued in that emperor's name). Type sets for each emperor are listed on the page at this link

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/typesets.html

and some of them are illustrated (I intend to illustrate the rest sometime).

TheodosiusVOTXMVLTXXANB.jpg

Theodosius, 379-395.
    Small AE4.
    VOT/X/MVLT/XX
    ANB (Antioch mint)
    13 mm. 1.52 grams
    RIC Antioch 56c
    Type 26.

Take a look around at the pages linked to the original page and you will find a lot of interesting things about late Roman AE that make them worth collecting.

medvet, randygeki, dadams and 9 others like this.
  5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@Valentinian
    I did not know that was your site. I was introduced to it recently and I found it to be very interesting and helpful to me. I have filed the 'reference' for use in further attributions. Thank-you.

And the coins from the second post are types 39, 48, 45, 45, and 39 respectively.

medvet and Quant.Geek like this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Nice Arcadius collection Topcat7

I think my coin is numero 45.

Arcadius son.JPG

medvet, randygeki, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice collection of Ae4s @Topcat7

[​IMG]
    Arcadius, AE4 Heraclea mint, 1st officina, c. AD 383
    DN ARCADIVS PF AVG. Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    VOT / V within wreath, SMHA at exergue
    1.27g, 14mm, 12h
    Ref : RIC IX # 18b, LRBC II # 1964

Q

medvet, randygeki, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@Bing @Andres2 @Cucumbor and @Valentinian
    The 'centering' and the 'strike' (definition) on your coins are great.
    Clearly, I am going to have to be a bit more 'picky' in my purchase choices, and not just go for the subject material.

Cucumbor, Quant.Geek and Andres2 like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite is the GLORIA ROMANORVM three ruler type with Arcadius and Honorius full size and the young Theodosius II smaller. This one is from Antioch.
    ry7915bb2999.jpg

Cucumbor, medvet, randygeki and 7 others like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I still have the "emperor on horseback" reverse on my list, like your number 4. I have a few AE4s from Arcadius...

100_2411_zpsqortteon.jpg
    Arcadius, AE4, 388-392 AD

O: D N ARCADIVS P F AVG R: SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, dragging captive, Tau-Rho in left field. CONS? in ex. Constantinople mint. 11 mm, 1.5 g

12. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Nice coins Gentlemen! I especially like the color of @Andres2 coin! So, gentle on the eyes. I just received my Agora Auction coins from late last year which includes this Arcadius coin:

Roman Imperial: Arcadius (383-408 CE) Æ 2 Majorina, Antioch (RIC 68c; LRBC 2781)

Obv: D N ARCADI-VS P F AVG; pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Arcadius right
    Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM; Arcadius in military garb standing facing, head right, holding labarum and globe; ANTB in exergue

[​IMG]

13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone. I only have the one Arcadius a generous gift from Ken Dorney. I should probably reshoot this one.
    Arcadius.png

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted