"Arcade Currency Palace"

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Catbert, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

I know nothing about collecting currency. I am just curious about what currency collectors think of the exotic two page color ads in the Numismatist each month from Arcade Currency Palace. They have TWO showrooms in FLA which kind of struck me as incredible since I'm guessing it would be tough to be able to have enough business to cover the overhead. Is the currency market that hot for a dealer to have two B&M stores and run expensive advertising in the ANA mag?

Again, I am ignorant of this aspect of our hobby and am merely curious what you currency "freaks" :rolling: ;) have to say!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I do not know if you realize it, but you have asked about one of the more sensitive paper money discussion board topics -- Ahmet Sandicki and the Arcade Currency Palace.

He used to be a frequent subject of conversation on other paper money discussion boards. Here is a link to the most recent topic at Collectors Universe http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=23&threadid=695648

Whatever your opinion may be of his marketing tactics, he has fantastic material in his inventory including several true rarities.

4. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

lettow - thank you for the reply, but I did not find the link helpful to my understanding of who he is or his business.

As I said, I know nothing about the currency collecting world so I am clueless as to any sensitivity about the topic.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is his business, and he can do with it what he wants. Yes, he is a bit of a showman, but he seems to drum up enough business to support that lifestyle. Oh well.

6. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Here are his Ebay listings: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZporscheahmet

Search his name on other discussion boards and you will see why I referred to this as a sensitive topic.

I agree with Scottishmoney about the showmanship in his advertising but it seems to work for him.

7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Catbert....

Currency is intriguing, just as coins are. If there is a way for people to make money with it I am sure it has been done..LOL
    As far as this company or its officers, I have never dealt with them.
    When I buy investment grade notes I do so via a network of Dealers that I have a relationship with.
    These Dealers are the ones who go to the Auctions and find notes specifically for their Clients.
    With any investment no matter how large or how samll, know whom you are dealing with before you do so.

It took over 30 years of on again off again collecting for me to turn towards currency! I wish I had done it sooner...

There is much to learn and it will takes years to gain that knowledge.
    Going through the BBB is a sure fire way of finding out how happy customers are or are not!!

Good luck!

RickieB

8. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Catbert,

The guy does have some incredible stuff and really does seem to be in love with himself.

Some time ago there was a thread about him here on CT that got, shall we say, ugly?

Ahmet (or at least someone claiming to be him) got involved and was banned I believe.

Like RickieB I like to deal with people I know or at least see stuff in person. Work comes in handy for that.

9. vcavo@bright.ne

vcavo@bright.ne Junior Member

Here is a website with a few years of documentation concerning this guy and CGA. Consumer Fraud; and I have a few lawsuits pending with others to come from collectors that have lost from $25,000 to over $200,000. Multi-million dollar currency overgrading and munipulation fraud. http://www.keycurrency.com/badgrade/

10. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

But you do know something about coins. What do you think of the coin guys with the multipage color ads in the coin rags? The same applies here, imo.

11. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

I was at his Tarpon Springs, FL store just about a month ago. It is in an arcade type building across from a sandwich shop. I don't know what the West Palm ? store is like but this one is nothing special.The showroom looks to be about 15 X 30 ? or around that size. What he has in that showroom is absolutely beautiful .I have never seen so many large size notes graded 67-68-69 anywhere. 99.9% upper grade material.He's slummin' it with the small notes as I did see a couple of 65's. LOL. I did buy a note that was several hundred dollars. A couple of weeks later I found out that we needed the money for something else and he gave me a 100% return,(in cash), no questions. So, he seems fair to me. As for his ebay million dollar BIN's. Just real cheap advertising................................................................................John

12. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

he does seem to have some really unique pieces, but to me his pricing tatics are a little silly. plus he seems to be up CGA's butt:hug: with how he praises them. to each his own. i didnt know he has a store in west palm. i might have to wander up there some day

13. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I take everything with a grain of salt these days but has anyone else bothered to check the link given above?

I DO know that CGA is not considered the "cream of the crop" on grading.

14. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

CGA is my least favorit TPG. i have a few notes but i really dont like the flimsy holders. they just feel like mylar sleeves. i prefer PMG

15. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i did click the link above, and have had dealings with the link poster in the past. No bad dealing, just dealings :) I dont have a favorite currency TPG as they can all throw bad notes inhigh grade holders. I also dont buy very many slabbed notes, so i cant really formulate an opinion.

However, knowing and trusting clembo ... his opinion does carry alot of weight with me :thumb:

16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I met and talked with Ahmet Sandicki at FUN earlier this year. He had several tables set up with currency cases displaying great notes in PMG,PCGS, and CGA holders.

Draft saved Draft deleted