Arabic (Iran?) coin, lion holding a sword

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Taxidermist, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

I've looked around a lot and found some similar looking coins, but not this one. Would be nice to know the year, what it says on the coin and what's it worth (yes, there is a hole in it, not my fault).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Looks to me like an Iran 50 Dinars. According to my Krause ...

Iran
    50 Dinars KM# 961
    Copper Nickel, no weight given
    AH1326 (1908)
    Mintage 8,000,000

4. Taxidermist

Thanks, Billyray, but this is how 50 dinars look:

[​IMG]

There are arabic "5" and "0" and the year at the bottom. What i have on my coin are some words (no idea what it says). On my coin, the year seems to be on the side with the lion.

This is why i said i found some similar looking ones, they all got arabic "50", and it seems my coin shows something different. If it is actually a coin and not some adornment.

5. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

I know how to read Arabic numerals. Do you have a copy of Krause's 1900 to 2000?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Taxidermist

Yes, i saw those numbers, but all the other coins i`m trying to find are looking different.

I guess its just an older, uncommon design. Thanks again.

7. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

That one is KM# 1142. The one you originally posted was KM# 961. Most countries issued different designs for the same denomination over the years. Just because one 50 Dinars looks one way, doesn't mean they'll all look that way.

8. Taxidermist

Just found some info about this 50 dinar design. The coin was issued during the early years of the reign of Reza Shah Pahlavi, it seems the coin is relatively rare.

What should be it's approximate price, considering the fact is is pierced?

9. mani

mani Junior Member

this is an iranian coin- 50 dinars . 1953 - it issued during the early years of the reign of mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi - it is not rare - there are in bazar of coins in tehran - now its price is about 100 to 500 cents

10. suraj ray

suraj ray New Member

i thing i have this coin without any hole can you give me more ditel of this coin

11. mani

mani Junior Member

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted