AR Nomos from Tarentum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

My recent addition, an AR Nomos from Tarentum. It was on my wish list for quite a while: the price was right, the condition was nice as well (note the head of Phalanthos on the reverse; and the nonchalant looking owl). The horse shows some wear, but overall a pleasant coin.

Please show your coins from Tarentum!

CALABRIA, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Nomos, minted: Tarentum; 272-240 BC
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: Youth on horseback left, crowning horse and holding rein; ΣY to right, ΛYKI/NOΣ below
    Reverse: Phalanthos, preparing to throw trident left, astride dolphin left; to right, owl standing left, head facing
    Weight: 6.55g; Ø:18mm. Catalogue: Vlasto 836–41; HN Italy 1025.. Provenance acq.: 07-2020

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Fugio1, Herodotus, Sulla80 and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats, well centered , better than mine:

P1150344 best (2).jpg

Herodotus, Ryro, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  4. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Great coin.

These are in my wishlist and have been for a while. However they are notoriously difficult to come by with all details in the flan and a price tag that won't leave my wallet empty!

5. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Taras has to be one of my favorite mints. I have a number of coins from this mint. This is one of my most recent purchases. Taras Ar Nomos 340-335 B.C. Obv. Nude youth on horseback right crowning horse below second youth crouching right, removing stone from horse's hoof. Rv. Phalanthos riding dolphin left over stylized waves Fischer-Bossert 696e This coin illustrated. 7.73 grms 22mm Photo by W. Hansen taras22.jpg

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only example is this one:

Tarentum, Calabria. AR Nomos (didrachm), ca. 302-280 BCE. Magistrates Sa.., Arethon and Cas-. Obv. Youth on horseback right, crowning horse with wreath; magistrates' names: ΣA to left and AΡE/ΘΩN in two lines below/ Rev. TAΡAΣ, Phalanthos astride dolphin left, holding tripod, CAΣ below. Vlasto 666 [Ravel, O.E., Descriptive Catalogue of the Collection of Tarentine Coins formed by M.P. Vlasto (London, 1947, reprinted)]; HN Italy 957 [Rutter, N.K., ed., Historia Numorum Italy (London, 2001)]; SNG ANS 1046 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, USA, The Collection of the American Numismatic Society, Part 1: Etruria - Calabria (New York 1969)]. 23 mm., 7.86 g.

Tarentum AR Nomos.jpg

Ryro, Herodotus, Restitutor and 7 others like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am reading “The Spartans” by Paul Cartledge. He states that Taras was Sparta’s only colony. AND, that Athena was a very important Goddess to the Spartans. Sparta highly revered her, and she was the “Patron Goddess of Sparta”... page 56 and 58.

Ergo,
    [​IMG]
    Calabria Tarentum / Taras AR Drachm 18mm 3.1g 3rd C BCE Athena Corinthian Scylla OWL olive TAP ZOP HN Italy 975 Vlasto 1052

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one, @Roerbakmix. The flan is typically compact, but it has a good strike, and is well-centered with almost everything clear and visible. Love the cute little owl on this variety.

The latest addition to my small pod of dolphin-riders is the one below. Not in hand yet, but should be arriving today!

Tarentum Nomos 12089.2.15_1.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Stater. 7.75g, 16mm. CALABRIA, Tarentum, circa 480-470 BC. Vlasto 86-7; Fischer-Bossert 87 (V45/R58); HN Italy 833. O: Taras astride dolphin to left; scallop shell below, [TAPAΣ] (retrograde) behind. R: Wheel of four spokes; dolphin within.

Here's another that's one of my favorite coins...

Tarentum - Nomos - Prow.jpg
    CABALRIA, Tarentum
    AR Stater. 7.75g, 22.3mm. CALABRIA, Tarentum, circa 332-281 BC. Fischer-Bossert Group 80, 1131 (V417/R873); Vlasto 587; HN Italy 934. O: Warrior, holding shield and two spears, preparing to cast a third, on horseback right; ΣA below. R: TAPAΣ, Phalanthos, holding distaff, riding dolphin left; pellet to left; below, prow left.
    Ex Thomas Bentley Cederlind Collection; ex Numismatica Ars Classica 84 (20 May 2015), lot 1358

Andres2, Ryro, Herodotus and 7 others like this.
  10. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Cool examples of Tarentum Nomos. Phalanthos riding on dolphin has such classic feel. Should look for one in the near future. :happy:

11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Lots of nice looking staters from Tarentum
    Tarentum Nomos Stater.jpg Tarentum, Nomos, c. 315/302 BC, AR stater
    Obv: Nude warrior on horseback right, holding two spears in left hand, shield on left and preparing to hurl another spear in his right hand; X behind, API below
    Rev: Phalanthos riding dolphin l., holding kantharos in r. hand, oar in l. KL below, TA - PAS behind
    Ref: Vlasto 636

Bing, Ryro, Herodotus and 3 others like this.
  12. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Riding side-saddle..

As the kids say these days "That's dope!"

@zumbly's is pretty nice too.

Count me in as one in the 'waiting for the right PQ(Price/Quality) ratio of a badboy of this type' club. One of my top favs on the want-list.. Wanting to acquire one of these more than an Athena/Owl Tet atm.

Who doesn't like dolphin riders?

Draft saved Draft deleted