AR Denarius 238AD Balbinus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, May 5, 2016.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Another Denarius 3.07g. 20mm from a "shortlived Emperor! 2328153l.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's one sweet denarius PM...i don't have one of this cat, and don't have any roman silver that looks this dang good.

stevex6, Paul M. and panzerman like this.
  4. panzerman

Thanks to all of you...I entered a new world of collecting! Now, I can get Emperors that were IMPOSSIBLE to obtain in gold. The last time I saw an FDC Balbinus, it sold for 900K....mouth watering though:happy:

dlhill132, GregH and Paul M. like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Like Chris, I do not have one of this emperor. And, like Chris, this is one of the best I've ever seen. WOW! Congratulations

panzerman likes this.
  6. panzerman

Thanks Bing, I must say, I really like these Denarius coins. For me, its easy to find material....I need everything!

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

8. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

What a portrait!

panzerman likes this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great Balbinus Panzerman, you now need his "brother" Pupienus....;)

[​IMG]
    Balbinus, Denarius Rome mint, AD 238
    IMP C D CAEL BALBINVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Balbinus right
    PROVIDENTIA DEORVM, Providentia standing left, holding rod and cornucopiae, globe at feet
    2.7 gr
    Ref : RIC # 7, RCV # 8490

[​IMG]
    Pupienus, Denarius Rome mint, AD 238
    IMP C M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    PM TRP COS II PP, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and sceptre
    3.08 gr
    Ref : RCV # 8527, Cohen # 26

Q

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

gorgeous coins by all!! ...

=> wow p-dawg, congrats on another top-drawer purchase!!

sadly, like a couple of my coin-buddies, I don't have an example of this dude to post "yet" (oh wait, is that my monthly coin-budget calling?)

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

Nice examples Cucumbor! The brother is on my "shopping list!" 238AD was a bad year for emperors...

ucumbor

Cucumbor likes this.
  12. panzerman

Thanks stevex6... I am off to do a "sodding job" today, make $ for CNG 102 auction goodies!

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&order=0&company=

I am amazed at the number of Balbinus coins available in high grade and prices to match. There is quite a variation in style including some really nice die work. Certainly Pupienus is similar and I find more of his portraits to be high quality (more handsome subject?). In both cases the best work is on larger flans of sestertii and antoniniani. If shopping for Pupienus, look for a nice antoninianus with the clasped hands reverse.

I have neither having sold my sestertii in my 1974 sell off. I will show a relatively more rare sestertius of the Caesar named to succeed Balbinus and Pupienus. Since he went on to become Augustus and have the most common coins of the era, collectors give no respect to issues of Gordian III as Caesar.
    rx0640bb2238.jpg

ancientone, TIF, Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Gorgeous denarius of a highly scarce Emperor @panzerman. !!!

Also congrats on your wonderful examples 'Q' !!!

Surprisingly, to me at least, I have also noticed a flurry of issues offered of both joint Emperors in exceedingly high grade....but I still haven't noticed one of Doug's Gordian III Sestertius as Caesar----which I LOVE!!!

I only have two 'budget' sestertius of those two Emperors which I'll refrain from posting again....

panzerman and Cucumbor like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Balbinus is an Emperor slot I want to fill. I regret that I do not have one yet...

panzerman likes this.
  16. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

WoW great balbinus coins, here is my coin [​IMG]

Bing, stevex6, Pishpash and 2 others like this.
  17. panzerman

Brothers? they certainly look have no resemblance to each other, wonder if Mom had an affair?

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> an affair?!!

Oh, I highly doubt it ... I'm pretty sure that the Roman rulers were a proper and monogamous bunch ...

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted