AR Cornado of Sancho IV "El Bravo" King of Castille, Leon and Gallicia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Yay, after adding some medieval Islamic coins that would have circulated in Spain, I finally acquired my first medieval Spanish Christian coin. It is an AR Cornado minted beetween 1284 and 1295 AD in the Cuenca Mint, which was located in central Spain in the northwest of Castille.

Sancho IV El Bravo AR Coronado.jpg

Sancho IV “The Brave” 1284-1295.
    AR Cornado.
    Cuenca mint.
    SANCII REX, Crowned bust left. /
    CASTELLE LEGIONIS, Castle, bowl to left and star to right.
    Cayon 1185

The coin is of a king with a cool nickname. Sancho El Bravo (the brave). So How did Sancho IV become Sancho El Bravo? It's a neat story. Sancho's brother Juan, Lord of Valencia de Campos, was not thrilled that Sancho had staged a coup at the time of their father's death. This uprising resulted in the usurpation of the crown from their young nephew, Alfonso de la Cerda, who was the rightful heir to the throne.

Juan was so displeased that he rounded some lords and decided to stage a civil war to defend his nephew's rights. Unfortunately for Juan, Sancho proved to be a ruthless king and executed 4,400 followers of their nephew Alfonso, and lobbed a few nobles' heads off. However, Sancho pardoned his treacherous brother Juan and let him go in peace.

But Juan was still fuming over the usurpation of his nephew's crown by his brother Sancho, and went to North Africa and called on the Marinid Dynasty in Northern Morocco to invade Iberia. Together with the Sultan of the Marinids, Juan marched at the head of an Islamic army into Iberia and laid siege to the city of Tarifa. Sancho responded by raising his own army and soundly defeating the Islamic invaders. King Sancho proved himself brave and skilled in battle, and drove the invaders all the way to the sea...and his brother Juan had to swallow his pride and take a permanent vacation outside of Spain until Sancho's death.

Sancho_IV_de_Castilla_02.jpg
    Contemporary manuscript illustration of Sancho IV.

So after defeating the invading Islamic army, and with the newly acquired awesome nickname of Sancho El Bravo (Sancho the Brave), Sancho IV made big plans to unify the Reconquista and drive the rest of the Muslims out of Spain. However, he caught tuberculosis instead and died. The crown passed to his son Ferdinand IV, who was a bit of a tyrant, but whom also proved skillful at war against the Moors like his father before him.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Saw that when it was listed, really liked it too. Nice addition.

Sallent likes this.
  4. Sallent

Thanks. It was cheap and is part of my heritage, so I had to have it before someone else got the idea they also wanted it. I need to add a few more medieval Spanish kings eventually.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Medievals are additive and I have to scratch that itch now and then.

6. Sallent

So, no one has any Spanish beauties they wish to share? Show em if you got em.

7. Sallent

This is the second coin in a row where the seller has grossly misattributed the location where the coin was minted. At least it's the right denomination and ruler, but the mint is way off (but it's an improvement on the Indian coin I bought last week where even the culture that minted it and denomination was wrong).

Here is the coin with the new attribution:

Sancho IV El Bravo AR Coronado.jpg
    Sancho IV "El Bravo"
    AR Cornado 1284-1295 CE
    Seville mint.
    SANCII REX, Crowned bust left. /
    CASTELLE LEGIONIS, Castle, crucifix on top with star to the left and S to the right
    C&C 1197; Burgos 243; S. Cy1192. SC

I knew the attribution was off when it said the star was to the right on the reverse, where it is clearly to the left, and it described the S as a mug (LOL). This is not the Cuenca mint, but rather Seville. Turns out Seville had either two stars or a star to the left and an S to the right. This is the star to the left and S to the right variety. The star and S variety appears to be the rarer type based on my research.

So sad, you can't trust dealers to attribute these coins right unless they are the typical Roman, Greek, English medieval, etc. which everyone collects. If you buy some Kingdom/culture that is not as popular with the "in crowd" I'd triple check that attribution for accuracy.

PS: Coin is now worth an extra $10 with the correct attribution to Seville with the S. I just made a 20% profit...LOL. Not that I'd ever sell it.

Bing, icerain and Alegandron like this.
  8. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Well I do have this from Spain that I posted in the other thread. Don't know if it has any relation to your coins though.

[​IMG]

9. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Nothing to contribute here, at least from that time period, so I've just been lurking the thread (until this comment, of course).

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Super-cool OP-addition (yah, I also love sneaking-in a sweet Medieval coin every now and then)

Ummm, but sorry dude ... I don't have any Spain examples from this time period (*sigh*)

=> oh, but I can't exit your thread without at least dropping one morsel, eh?

Hey, how 'bout this ol' Spanish thang?

Augustus, Spain Celsa, L Bag/Mn Flav "Duoviri", AE As

Augustus AE As Celsa Bull.jpg

icerain, Bing, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  11. Sallent

So sad...you guys really could use a few medieval Spanish coins. Seems like I'm cornering the market on Iberian Islamic and Christian coinage in this forum.

red_spork likes this.
  12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I'd see it as a good thing. Less competition. And a possible shot at being CT's resident medieval Iberian coin expert one day.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

In your title you stated the town of Gallicia.. is it not Galicia?
    Sorry I have never read it that way.. and to me a double LL is pronounced like the letter Y as in Yellow. So I read it as you spelled it, Gayicia

14. Sallent

It was a typo. I must have been thinking of the Spanish term for a person from Galicia...which is Gallego, as I was typing Galicia. Thank for noticing. I can't edit the title, so this correction will have to do. I don't want to trouble a mod over an L.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted