Appolonia Pontica Drachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Aug 27, 2016.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I am considering a $100 purchase of a drachma of Apollonia Pontica and have read on the net that there are a large number of fakes of this coin, apparently from a "New York Hoard". The information is overwhelming on the net sites. What I am asking for, is there anything that is likely to be spotted on the fabric of these coins or in their weight that would be an indicator that the coin is likely to be fake? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's a tough series because of those fakes. Your best bet is to buy from a knowledgable seller who offers a lifetime guarantee of authenticity, but even then only after learning as much as you can about the issue.

A possible snag with the "lifetime guarantee": you may find conflicting opinions among experts. I've never had to put such a guarantee to the test, but I wonder what level of proof is required for a refund? What if the seller's expert disagrees with your chosen expert? If obtaining such an opinion costs you money, is that money reimbursed? (I wouldn't expect so)

If you haven't reviewed this page, it is one of many useful resources for this particular fake:

http://medusacoins.reidgold.com/newyork.html

Authentic coins, from the same website:

http://medusacoins.reidgold.com/apollonia.html

stevex6, Alegandron and red_spork like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@TIF said it all. Caution is the word of the day.

5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I handled one of the counterfeits from that show that belongs to Vagi during a summer seminar session and they are deceiving. I was told the forger melted down republican denari to make them. I typically stay away from these types.

6. I have a few. I purchased this one from ArtAncientLTD, which makes me feel a little better. Still pretty scary to purchase these and Eubeoan tetrobols
    Appolonia Drachm.png

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree with everybody's previous statements ...

Sadly, I bought myself this very humble example and then couldn't help myself and sent it to David Sear for authentication (I spent more on the certificate than I did on the fricken coin itself!!) .... *fail*

apollo face.jpg

IMG_5190.JPG

Oh, but at least I have confidence that I'll be able to sell this baby if need be, right?

8. Joe LeMay

Joe LeMay Active Member

I have been collecting these for a while now and I am not 100% sure that any of mine are not forgeries, but this one comes close in my mind as being authentic (with one type overstruck on the earlier dolphin style):

[​IMG]

This one was my favorite till I found 6 more exact copies:

[​IMG]

Here's my collection: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3661

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted