Apparently very rare AR drachm of Antiochus VIII

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

This past weekend I had a little bit of time to sit down and image some of my Greek collection, which is probably 75% comprised of coins I bought unidentified in a group lot and either decided I didn't want to sell, or else figured I wouldn't get a good price. I remember seeing this one, thinking "Cool, a drachm with a tripod." and I set it aside since my last Seleucid drachm hammered for $15.

I realized I might have something when I went through all 12 Seleucid Antiochuses on Wildwinds and didn't find any with a tripod. Finally found a match on vcoins

Seleucid Empire
    Antiochus VIII Gryphos
    121-97 BC
    AR Drachm

Obv: Diademed head right
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY / EΠIΦANOYΣ, tripod, monograms (IX / N) left Seleucid AR drachm Antiochus VIII Epiphanes tripod.jpg

Apparently very rare? I was only able to find two recorded sales from my preliminary searches

#1 - Naumann 84/168 (2019)
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6631756

#2 Vcoins, Aeternitas Numismatics
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vc...chm_efef_antioch_mint_tripod/1141332/amp.aspx

My curiosity is piqued now - does anyone have anything to contribute toward this coin? Is it actually rare, or one of those coins that is "hiding in plain sight", e.g. not rare, but so rarely offered individually that it leaves no footprint on auction listings?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I wouldn't call it rare, but it is a nice one especially for the price. I found 16 that sold, another 6 in museums, and that was in only 2 searches. I'm sure there are many more. Here's my version with different monograms (yours is 2304)
    g153.jpg
    Antiochos VIII
    Mint: Antioch
    AR Drachm
    109 to 96 BC
    Obvs: Antiochos diademed head right, within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, Tripod. PE on left
    17mm, 3.8g
    Ref: SNG Is. 2525, SC 2310

Johndakerftw, Bing, Finn235 and 2 others like this.
  4. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Finn235,
    Hope you get the situation sorted out to your satisfaction and was wondering if you could possibly help w/ a mis-identified Seleucid tet. I purchased in 2008. The dealer, long forgotten advertised & I purchased this coin as a Seleucus I, but David Sear I.D-ed this piece in his COA as Seleucus II Callinicus 246-226 BC Susa mint .("VF & Nearly VF Scarce") Refs.: H&L 787a, Newell 346 Plate XXVII,11 & Boehringer p. 167,20.
    My questions to you ,or anyone else interested & knowledgeable, are #1 How can you tell?...and #2 Just how 'scarce/rare' is this mintage??
    Any further info would be deeply appreciated & pics supplied upon request,
    (I'm just a lazy old fart)
    J.T.

Addendum: After checking the 'Seleucid ID Site', no Susa mintage coins were listed.....(perhaps 'scarce' after all.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted