Apparently chewed up in the mechanical working. Might it be of value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Alex55, May 23, 2019.

1. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Simple common sense would tell you this is just a damaged coin, not some valuable error.

Also, you come across as insecure and EDITED: unnecessary..

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
    hotwheelsearl likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It seems you did ask the question and when people told you it didn't occur in the mint, you implied it had to by some 'mechanic' doing something wrong to it. Those that actually know the minting procedures could tell immediately that a normal minting process could not do this, the damage occurred after it was put into circulation. The group was trying to inform you that it was of no value and prevent you from wasting money on getting it evaluated. You still can do that if you don't mind the cost. There is a lot to learn here, but one must be willing. Jim

4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

The mint mechanics chewed it up. :) teeth marks are clear evidence.

hotwheelsearl and Brina like this.
  5. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

A253880C-61BE-4D12-8384-2379FDA23BEC.gif

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For a place full of "cowards whom [sic] hide behind their machines and hurl insults", we certainly do seem to get an unending stream of new guests, don't we? And a surprising number of them come with "questions" whose answers they already clearly know much better than any of us. And yet, they keep coming.

hotwheelsearl and Brina like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I believe you have an incorrect interpretation of what the folks on this forum do. Myself? I have spent all my life building a successful business and enjoying the rewards that a lifetimes work has provided me and my family. Most on this forum could tell similar tales. See, we quite vehemently are not out there searching for riches in our pocket change. We are here because we love the hobby for one reason or other. Myself? I simply enjoy the rich history I hold in my hands with my coins. Others have their own reasons. But I assure you, the folks offering their input are not here looking for a pot of gold in damaged coins. We attempt to gently dissuade others who do so as we have found there to be unlimited bogus knowledge to be had on the internet. So please Alex, if you enjoy your cent then by all means... Enjoy it. However if you wish to seek knowledge from those of us with decades of experience in this hobby, please don't turn on the very folks you asked to share of their time and talents.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Thread of the year contender.

hotwheelsearl, Brina and CoinCorgi like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah except we still have the late summer intoxicated nights to come.
    I expect them to get better than this.:hungover:

hotwheelsearl, Brina and CoinCorgi like this.
  10. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Silly to even think this would be a mint issue..

Autoturf likes this.
  11. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

And there you have it. You claim this happened at the mint, while admitting you are "not adept" in mint mechanics. I doubt you even watched any YouTube videos on the minting process. Sad.

12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

What's it like living under a bridge feeding on billy goats?

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I figure, if it is something that can be produced or reproduced it's damage.
    Almost every damaged coin that has appeared here, can be created with hand tools, grinding wheels, parking lots, and in this case, it may have truly gotten inside some machine with gears and sprockets and got chewed up. But, after it left the mint.
    Fascinating coin minting videos on YT. Watch a couple of them.

desertgem likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

DOH!.jpg

AREA 51 ESCAPEE.jpg
    Chris

spirityoda likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As a definition , once the coin is struck and ejected into the collection device, any further alteration of the surface is not Mint variation, it is damage. Thus if a coin falls out of a ballast sack, and a foot grinds it into the concrete, it is Damage as I understand it and not a Mint error, Just as Mechanical vibration ( MD) is not a mint DD.

So even if a "mechanic " on the mint facility, modified a coin he plucked out of the collecting bag, it would not be a Mint produced variety or error . As someone previously said if a newly made coin is spilled on the pavement of the mint parking lot by a mint employee and ran over by a mint vehicle driven by a mint employee, the result is still not a mint error. Jim

16. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Hurl insults? I have read this thread and as a legal consultant, you offered your evidence and others responded with their opinions. If some seemed harsh to you, then so be it. If anybody hurled insults, it was you about their not being in agreement with you. And if anybody should apologize for the comments made, again, it is you.

Now about your coin. To me, it appears that your coin does have environmental damage as well as some sort of gearing machine damage. Like the others, I have been collecting over 50yrs and have never seen this type of damage. It wasn't made before the planchet and wasn't made during the stamping. This is something that happened after the coin was made as is evidenced in the word "trust." The stamping of the coin does not contain an element of gearing. If you YouTube "how coins are made" you will clearly see the stamping process. In any case, the burden of proof of evidence lies with you to explain how the damage happened during the minting process. It is not up to the defense to prove how it did not happen. Sorry, but your penny is nothing more than a damaged penny.

tommyc03, Mountain Man and spirityoda like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

You ask a question and we answered it. You did not like our answers. You see an error...we see damage. Learn how a coin is made.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    tommyc03 likes this.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" for I am not adept with the minting process. [/QUOTE]
    Pretty much sums it up.

19. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Alex, with your determination to avoid the truth, and your very measured eloquence, rather than participating in the hobby of numismatics, perhaps you would have much more success in the realm of politics.

However, be it as it may, you are still Welcome to Coin Talk !!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

7jca3.jpg

21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Cripes! You guys need to issue an entertainment alert at the beginning so I can make my popcorn in advance.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted