Appalachian Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimefreak, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Went to a coin show today with a nice amount of dealers. I came home with 5 absolute stunners!!! I was blown away by the selection. One of my purchases was a 1941 Iridescent toned Jefferson. I have never in my life held a Jefferson Nickel like this before. When I seen it the first thing I thought of was Paul Appalachian. So I was wondering, are all of the Appalachians slabbed or were some left raw. I think that this coin might be the motivator to finally send my coins to Shane because I tried to capture the color and just cant do it. Maybe Ill post some of the trial shots in a little bit so you all can get an idea of what it looks like. The other 4 coins were 3 Washingtons and an absolute Monster Peace Dollar.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wish you'd post some pics......:)

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

To my knowledge, all of the Appalachians were graded by NGC but that is predicated on the belief that they are NT. If they are AT, I would have to believe there are some that did not get graded. However, in my experience, all of the Appalachians are war nickels.

Appalachian Toned Jefferson Nickel--Green with Envy!

Can't wait to see some photos!

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Okay I shouldn't really post these because they dont even begin to do justice. The whole obverse is covered in color. Here are my very sad attempts and capturing the color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

So Paul tell me, is this a date the TPG's are light on nicks?

thanks

7. Lehigh96

With a mintage of 203 million, don't count on it. The 1941 is commonly found with a full strike and full steps and is not rare in the premium gem grades with almost 200 MS67's. I feel your pain with the iridescent toning. Here is a photo of my 1941 which is gorgeous, but it's beauty is elusive in photographs.

[​IMG]

The obverse of your coin looks very clean. Are you worried about the reverse or are some of the hits hidden by the toning?

geekpryde likes this.
  8. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

No I am not worried about the surfaces. Only thing that worries me is the Reverse is blast white. Is that normal? Are there EOR nickels?

Here are two more of the obverse skin. Ill take shots of the reverse 2morow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Why do they call this an Appalachian?

What are Appalachians in reference to Jefferson nickels?

Thanks

10. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Lehigh can tell ya better. But basically a hoard of Monster Toned Jeffersons. If im not mistaking a lot of them are considered AT and are treated similar to the Battle Creek Collection.

11. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Thanks Dimefreak, but I still don't get it. Is Jefferson from there? I don't know what a Battle Creek Collection is either. Sorry for my ignorant questions.

12. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Ah, the Appalachians AND coins...
    mtopview.jpg

13. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

President Jefferson was born in Shadwell, Virginia. I'm not familiar with the Battle Creek Collection, though.

14. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

15. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Yes, Virginia was exactly what I was thinking. I remember a story of how he lost his family's Virgina Plantation after making a loan, and then being repaid with bad fiat currency.

In the meanwhile, Google was my freind. Seems like we be talking about Hobo nickels. I love art, so I can imagine why these nickels would be sought after. Very very cool was what I thought in my read. Here is the link: http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2010/04/hobo-nickels-2.html

16. sunflower

sunflower New Member

17. Lehigh96

The story is that a dealer happened upon an estate in the Appalachian Mountains in late 2000 that contained several rolls of fantastically toned Jefferson war nickels. The coins were graded by NGC and have been known as Appalachian Jefferson ever since. They are widely considered AT by the numismatic community but they are incredibly beautiful and there is nothing about the toning in hand that screams AT.

However, I don't know what you mean by treated similar to the Battle Creek collection. The Battle Creek Morgans come from the estate of a collector who lived in or near Battle Creek Michigan. The story behind these coins is documented and presented on NGC's own website (see link below).

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=272

They are not widely regarded as AT in the numismatic community.

18. Lehigh96

Wait, now I am confused. You linked the same article that I did, yet your previous post seems to indicate that you believe the Battle Creek coins to be AT. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

19. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

I dont consider Battle Creek Coins AT, but I know that you have heard others claiming they are. Just yesterday at the coin show I heard a sarcastic remark about them.People claim that they coins are to vivid and that when held next to the GSA's they look fake. But once again I feel these coins are 100% authentic

20. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Oh and not to mention there are folks that say the coins were put in chemical chambers before being opened in public

21. Lehigh96

I have never heard one credible numismatist disparage the Battle Creek coins and back up their claim with anything more than their opinion. To my eye, they are simply very attractive bag toned Morgan Dollars.

[​IMG]

geekpryde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted