Apologies... Curious if DDR

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TyCobb, Nov 21, 2018.

1. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I know for raised letters one of the telltale signs is to check for the serif. Unfortunately in this example it is for sunken letters so perhaps there are different things I should look for in this area.

This is for a 2015-D North Carolina Blue Ridge Parkway quarter. I tried to take as many helpful pictures as I could. The area of interest is specifically the left side of the first "A" in "CAROLINA".

I checked Wexler and there's only 2 registered entries which were for Philly.

2015-D - O - 1.png 2015-D - R - 1.png 2015-D - R - 2.png 2015-D - R - 3.png 2015-D - R - 4.png 2015-D - R - 5.png

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no, machine doubling

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I believe that it is called "incused machine doubling"
    http://www.error-ref.com/?s=Incused machine doubling

There are some pretty extreme examples of doubling that happen with incused lettering. The raised lettering on the die is very susceptible to doubling when there is a mechanical issue with the press.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

That Blue Ridge is still in my Top 3 favorite ATB quarters, from an aesthetic viewpoint. Ozark Riverways leads my personal list.

6. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Nice! I never would have thought machine doubling could cause that effect; that blasted serif being up and away really got me. :clown:

Thanks a ton for destroying all aspirations and hope I once had in this world .

:joyful:

Mine would be Apostle Islands as I love the detail in it and the water detail. Then Voyageurs -- that duck is just super chill. Blue Ridge would either be 3rd or dead last -- I spend the most amount of time looking at that one because it never feels the same way twice. There's always something that seems out of place for some reason and usually the slightest nick causes the most time consuming analysis when it comes to the plants. It didn't help that I had a whole roll's worth before I posted this thread. :dead:

Even though it's a love hate relationship I should note that I did find 3 really top quality Blue Rock quarters that I definitely will be holding on to. Even in circulation there were such a minor amount of nicks and a sheen that would blind a bat. lol

7. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Okay, so I've come across this one which appears to be a much better example of incused MD.

Example.png

It acts just like I would have expected, but it makes me question again on the original post above. If it's MD, I would have expected the doubled A line in the original post to have a height that goes above the primary A. I also would have expected to possibly see the effect on the other letters even just a tiny bit. I think the 5th picture is probably the best to see what I am referring to.

Draft saved Draft deleted