Apollodotus II Soter or Agenor - Conquests of Alexander III ???

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, May 2, 2016.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I have this coin that I have seen variously described as Apollodotus II Soter, and Agenor - Conquests of Alexander III. I have described it (below) but I would be interested to hear anyone's comments on attribution, please?

BAKTRIA Indo-Greek Kingdom
    Apollodotus II Soter Philopator Megas c.80-65 B.C.

Obv:BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣΩTPOΣ KAI ΦIΛOΠATPOΣ AΠOΛΛOΔOTOY Diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: “Maharajasa tratarasa Apaladatasa” in Karosthi, Athena Alkidemos advancing left, holding shield in left hand and raised spear in right; monogram to right.

Silver Drachm mm, gm

SNG Ans 1534-41; HGC 12, 392

Agenor, Bust of Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great A.jpg
    Agenor, Bust of Indo-Greek-Conquests of Alexander the Great B.jpg

stevex6, Pishpash, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Interesting coin but all I can say is that it seems to be 'listed' simply as Apollodotus II on the examples I've run across....

Topcat7 likes this.
  4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

I have seen an American e-bay seller offering cheap Indo-Greek coins with all sorts of ridiculous attributions, often referring to Alexander the Great. I frankly think this seller is a fraud and knows very well these coins have no direct link with Alexander III.
    The attribution to Apollodotus II seems correct. However, in recent years there have come a lot of these on the market, for very low prices. Very many in a bit degraded style with quite typical wear patterns. Personally, for me, i have not decided yet wether these could be posthumous contemporary issues, or modern fakes.

Here one of mine:
    ApollIIW2.jpg

Pishpash, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I would assume the Alexander connection is simply that his conquests set up the Greek Kingdoms in Bactria and the East and bring a Greek influence to India. Certainly these coins would not be in the form they are without Alexander, but that's probably the only connection

Topcat7, Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool to see an eastern coin surge!

i've seen bunches of these on ebay lately as well, i was a bit nervous about most of them so i abstained from biding. yeah, id just put the alexander attribution right there with the folks that put things like "2000 year old coin!" and "bible archeology" in the listing title.

Topcat7 likes this.
  7. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thank-you, people.
    I will ignore the reference to Alexander III (and Agenor) and I will stay with Apollodotus II.
    Thanks, again.

Draft saved Draft deleted