Apollodotus II Drachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Though many of you would think I am the last person on CT to buy an Indo-Greek coin, I will admit that I love their coins and history.
    The Indo-Greeks are a fascinating group, just the fact that they originated from Greece and made India their home for several centuries is in itself interesting. It is also cool to realize how much of an integrated society the Indo-Greeks had; for the most part the Greeks were the most elitist and racist people in Antiquity. This was not the case in India; there were reports of Greeks and Indians intermarrying and a peaceful coexistence between Buddhists and Greco-Pagans. Some Greeks even converted to Buddhism, the most notable one was an Indo-Greek king named Menander I.

From the seller:
    Apollodotus II seems to have been a member of the dynasty of Menander I, since he used their typical deity Athena Alkidemos on most of his silver, and also Menander's title Soter ( "the Saviour"), on all his coins. On some coins, he also calls himself Philopator ( "the father-loving"), which proves that his father had been king before him. It is guessed that Amyntas or Epander could have been his father.

Apollodotus' reign possibly began in the Punjab, when the Scythian king Maues ruled in Gandhara and its capital Taxila. What probably happened is that Apollodotus II took over Taxila after the death of Maues, though it is uncertain whether he defeated Maues or his descendants, or was allied or related to the dynasty of Maues. The late Indo-Greeks may have been rather mixed with both Indians and Scythians. R C Senior suggests that Apollodotus had struck an alliance with another Scythian king, Azes I.

The Scythian hold of Gandhara loosened after the death of Maues, and petty kings of mixed or uncertain origin, like Artemidorus the son of Maues, Telephus and perhaps Menander II emerged in the area. These kings posed no threat to Apollodotus II, who on some of his coins assumed the title Basileus Megas ( "Great King"), in echo of Maues' boastful title "Great King of Kings".

After the death of Apollodotus II, the Indo-Greek kingdom fragmented once more.

Judging by the style of my coin it would seem that it was struck in the eastern Punjab by Indian celators.

The kingdom of the Indian Greeks around the time that Apollodotus took power.
    Indo-Greeks_100bc.jpg
    The Coin
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    THE SIZE IS 16.7 MM AND 2.08 GRAMS.

OBVERSE – Diademed and draped bust of Apollodotus facing right, surrounded by Hellenic inscription. BASILEOS MEGALOU SOTIROS KAI FILOPATOROS APOLLODOTOU

REVERSE – Athena Alkidemos advancing left, with aegis draped over left arm, and thunderbolt held in upraised right arm. Karoshthi inscription, with mintmark in the lower left field

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Nice Indo-Greek coin. I have Apollodotus I.

Bactrian Drachm.jpg

Kings of Baktria Indo-Greek Apollodotos I Circa 180/174-165/160 B.C. Square Drachm
    AR Square Drachm 20mm. 2.42g.
    Elephant standing right; (RK) monogram below.
    BASILEWS APOLLODOTOU SWTHROS
    Zebu standing right; W below.
    Bopearachchi 4E; SNG ANS 324-327
    Good VF. Light toning in devices.

4. Magnus Maximus

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I haven't really wrapped my head around the difference between the Indo-Scythians and Bactrians...so I collect both!

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coin Mag-Max: Yeah, I am not ALWAYS in the Republic: ...

Baktria Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Eukratides I Megas 170-145 BCE AE Quadruple Unit Obv-Rev.JPG
    BAKTRIA, Greco-Baktrian Kingdom.
    Eukratides I Megas. Circa 170-145 BC.
    Æ Quadruple Unit (22 mm, 7.66 g, 12h).
    Obv: Diademed and draped bust right
    Rev: The Dioskouroi, holding palm fronds and spears, on horses rearing right
    Ref: Bopearachchi type 19; SNG ANS 551.
    Comments: light green patina with earthen overtones in devices.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Apollodotos I, Backtria, 174-165 BC
    AR, drachm, 14mm, 1.4g
    Obv.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΠOΛΛOΔOTOY SΩTHPOΣ; Elephant standing right, MI monogram below
    Rev.: Maharajasa Apaladatasa tradarasa (Karosthi script); Zebu standing right, Karosthi legend around, MI monogram below

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very cool coin @Magnus Maximus and a very enjoyable write-up!!

I seem to have 'stalled' at this one coin of the type---a bit of a lower grade drachm of Menander:
    meander, bactrian kingdom.jpg

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Haven't really gotten into Indo-Greek coins yet, but I find their history and coinage very interesting. I'm particularly fond of the square coins as most of the ancients I see are round. I only have one and that was pretty rare as the coin store I go to don't really carry ancients.

[​IMG]
    Bactria, Hermaios
    40-1 B.C. Drachm
    O: BASILEWS EWTHROS ERMAOIU draped and diademed bust right
    RL Karosthi legend around, Zeus left hand extended right hand holding scepter, monograms left and right

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]

i have a couple of apollodotus ii AE coins, round and square with the same theme.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Outside my area, but I wouldn't mind an elephant and zebu.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm liking that SpongeBob meme!

13. Magnus Maximus

Wouldn't mind adding a few more Indo Greeks to my collection, would be a nice subsection.

Pishpash likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted