Featured Apollo Veiovis und Amalthea

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Dear Friends of ancient mythology!

Some notes on the mysterious Veiovis:

1st Coin:
    Roman Republic, Mn. Fonteius, gens Fonteia
    AR - Denarius, Rome, 85 B.C.
    Obv.: Head of Apollo Veiovis r., wearing laurel wreath with berries
    behind MN FONTEI
    [below thunderbolt,] CF under chin
    Rev.: Winged young genius on a goat riding r., before and behind the hats of the
    Dioscuri, decorated with stars,
    in ex. thyrsos, all in laurel wreath.
    Ref.: Crawford 353/1d; Sydenham 724b; Fonteia 11
    VF, pretty details of the goat
    fonteius_Cr353.1d.jpg
    The reverse imitates a statue in the temple of Veiovis in Rome which shows the young genius riding the goat Amalthea. According to the myth, Amalthea had suckled Jupiter on Mount Ida on Crete. The cornucopiae is said to have originated from her horns.

The figure of Veiovis is very mysterious. I found the most detailed explanation at the famous Wissowa (RE), in his article 'Religion und Kultus der Römer, München 1912:

Exactly in the middle between the Lemuria and Carnaria festivities, on the old table on 21 May, there is an agonium which, according to the inscription of the Fastu Venusini, was dedicated to the god Vediovis. Although this testimony is isolated, it is credible, because the affiliation of Vediovis to this oldest cult is beyond question and the date of the feast fits well to the few other things we know about this god today. His name appears in the forms Vediovis, Vedius or Veiovis and thus clearly identifies him as the counter-image of Diovis, Dius or Iovis, thus as the counter-image of the supreme God of heaven. In the formula of devotion in Macrobius he is invoked together with the di manes, which certainly points to an underworld God. Dionysius of Halicarnassus, who lived at the time of Augustus, named a Zeus katachthonios, to whom according to a law attributed to Romulus the wrong-doer had fallen against the statutes of the clientele relationship. It is also found in the Twelve Tables. This god is probably none other than Veiovis. An apparently younger version of the devotion formula names the Greek underworld god Dis pater before Veiovis and the Manes, who stands here still beside Veiovis. But soon he displaced or replaced him, so that the Augustan time knew nothing more about the nature and meaning of the old God and went by in the most different suppositions.

Outside of Latium there is no trace of his worship. The only extra-Roman monument is the altar found near Bovillae and dedicated to Veiovis pater(sic!) by the gentiles Iulii.

In Rome, however, at the beginning of the 2nd century B.C., the god received almost 2 temples at the same time:

(1) One was praised by L. Furiius Purpureo in his praetur 200 B.C., started during his consulate in 196, lay on the Tiber Island and was consecrated on 1 January 194.

(2) The other was inter duos lucos, the saddle between Capitol and the castle, donated in 192 and celebrated its foundation on 7 March.

In this second temple there was a statue of the god made of cypress wood, which showed him youthful, with arrows in his hand and a goat on his side. In memory of the Greek mythology, which told how Zeus was raised by the goat Amaltheia, the name Ve-iovis was explained by analogy of vegrandis (tiny), vescus (meager) and others and the God was interpreted as a "infant Jupiter".

In fact, however, the picture depicted an Apollo as the god of death with the corrupting arrows. The goat had been given to him according to the Roman idea, because the Romans regarded the goat as an animal of the subterranean. In their ritual regulation, the Flames Dialis were not allowed to touch a goat any more than a corpse or beans.

The identification of the god of the dead with Apollo can also be found with the god who was worshipped on Mount Soracte near Falerii. The god was originally called Soranus pater without a proper name, but was then called Apollo in literature and in cult services, while others explained the name as Dis pater. His cult included a rite of atonement in which the priests, who always came from certain families in the area and were called hirpi (= wolves), walked barefoot over glowing coals. This rite still existed in Roman Imperisal times.

The representation of the goat or the emperor's son riding the goat can be found on imperial coins up to Gallienus. I suspect that at the time of Gallienus, but also before that, the meaning of the goat was no longer really known. Because already in former times the interpretation of the goat as Amalthea was rather a sign for the fact that the whole prehistory with the cult of the dead had already fallen into oblivion.

Summary:
    The interpretation as 'infant Jupiter' contradicts the designation of Veiovis in the gentile cult of the Julians in Bovillae as 'pater', as he is considered in the oldest testimonies. The goat was therefore a symbol of death and played an important role in the cult of the dead. Devotion was also an invocation of the gods of death, in which the commander (and his army) consecrated himself to death if they gave him victory for it. And this devotion also took place in the name of Veiovis.

Today it is assumed that Veiovis was distinguished from Jupiter only after the transformation of the Jupiter cult in the sense of the Olympians, whereby he kept the name Jovis (Kleiner Pauly).

Coin #2:
    Roman Republic, L. Iulius Bursio, gens Iulia
    AR - Denarius, 3.94g, 19.92mm, 0°
    Rome, 85 B.C.
    Av.: Apollo Veiovis, laureate and winged, r.
    behind trident and symbol (wing)
    Rv: Victoria in Quadriga r., holding the reins in the left and in the outstretched
    right the wreath
    before H (control mark #314)
    in ex. L IVLI BVRSIO
    Ref: Crawford 352/1a; Sydenham 728; Juklia 6
    About EF
    bursio_Cr352.1a.jpg
    This coin shows the close relationship between the gens Iulia and the cult of Veiovis. And since he was called pater in Bovillae, this contradicts the interpretation of the infant Jupiter on the goat.

And then, of course, the next coin belongs in this context, representing the nymph Amaltheia with the real infant Zeus:

3rd Coin:
    Cilicia, Aigeai, Hadrian, AD 117-138
    AR - Tetradrachm (Tridrachm?), 26mm, 10.46g
    struck AD 117/118 (year 164 of the Caesarian era)
    Obv.: AVTOKP KAIC TPAIANOC - AΔPIANOC CEB
    So-called Heroic Bust, some drapery on the left shoulder, laureate, r.
    Rev.: in l. field AIΓEAIΩN, in r. field ETOVC ΔΞP (= year 164)
    The nymph Amaltheia, here as city goddess with kalathos and in long garment,
    standing frontal, head r., holds in her right arm cornucopiae and in her left arm
    infant Zeus, who wants to crown her with a wreat in his raised right hand; at her
    right side the goat recumbent r., looking back to her.
    Ref: SNG Levante 1714; SNG Paris 2328; SNG von Aulock 5450; Prieur 716
    Rare, almost VF
    aigeai_hadrian_SNGlev1714.jpg
    This type, struck in the first year of Hadrian's government, shows a remarkable depiction: Infant Zeus wreaths Amaltheia. This is an allusion to mythology, in which Zeus was suckled by Amaltheia in the shape of a goat. The goat is also a symbol for Aigeai as a play on words, because goat is Greek AIΞ, AIΓOΣ. Such word games with city names were very popular in ancient times. Here it also shows the tolerance of Hadrian towards such Greek word games.

Best regards

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    tibor, Deacon Ray, TIF and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    MN FONTEIUS CF (85 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Laureate head of Apollo Vejovis right, M FONTEI CF behind, thunderbolt below, ROMA monogram below chin.
    R: Infant Genius riding goat right, caps of the Dioscuri above, filleted thyrsos below.
    Rome
    4g
    20mm
    Cr353/1a

tibor, zumbly, Jochen1 and 9 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    RR Fonteius 85 BC AR Den Apollo tbolt Cupid Goat Pilei Wreath Sear 271 Craw 353-1a

[​IMG]
    Julius Bursio 85 BCE
    Apollo Mercury
    Quadriga
    Sear 268 Crawford 352/1

tibor, Sulla80, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

So I can show my Amalthea and infant Jupiter again? This motif appears on the reverse of an antoninianus struck under Valerian II.

Valerian II, AR antoninianus, 23 mm 4.2 grams

Struck: 257-258, Cologne.

Obverse: VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped bust right

Reverse: IOVI CRESCENTI, the child Jupiter sitting right on the goat Amalthea, looking left, right hand raised, left hand holding the goat's horn.

Reference: RIC 3 (Lyons); Cohen 26 (Saloninus); Elmer 67a; Goebl 0907e; Sear 10731.

valerianII1.jpg

valerianII2.jpg

tibor, Sulla80, zumbly and 11 others like this.
  7. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

I have been fascinated by Vejovis ever since I first saw these coins. Such a mysterious and intriguing figure. My take is that he was thoroughly syncretized with Apollo, embodying all of the negative aspects of that god. He probably originated as an Etruscan death god called Veive, and by the late Republic he was almost indistinguishable from Apollo. Whether the coin is meant to be Vejovis or just some strange form of Apollo, it's definitely an interesting series.

That said, I'm not convinced the goat in this case has much to do with Vejovis. There's just no good evidence to link Vejovis to Jupiter and Amalthea, and the winged 'genius' or 'cupid' doesn't fit. It fits better with Dionysus, whose thyrsus is shown in the exergue. On the other hand, the similarity to the Valerian coin is pretty obvious, sans the wings.

At any rate, in a bit of shameless self promotion, I have written an article on Vejovis in the latest volume of Koinon (Vol. II), entitled 'Veiovis: The Youthful God Revisited," going into more detail about all that we know about this deity and how he came to be associated with this series of coins. Here is the only statue which can be definitively identified as Vejovis, since it was found in his temple at Rome:

vejovis.jpg

Anyway, here's my example of the Fonteius type, not as nice as some of the others in this thread:
    Fonteius copy.png

tibor, Sulla80, tenbobbit and 11 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have one too!

Fonteius Denarius Dioscuri Goat.jpg
    Mn. Fonteius C.f., 85 BC.
    Roman AR Denarius, 3.97 g, 21.0 mm, 5h.
    Rome mint.
    Obv: MN. FONTEI C. F, Laureate head of Apollo-Vejovis right; thunderbolt below; Roma monogram below chin.
    Rev: Infant Genius seated right on goat; pilei of the Dioscuri above; below, filleted thyrsus right; all within wreath.
    Refs: Crawford 353/1a; Sydenham 724; Fonteia 9; BMCRR 2476; RCV 271; Varesi 290.

tibor, Sulla80, 7Calbrey and 11 others like this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion and great coins.

I have this one that some say shows Vejovis on the obverse, but Crawford says not. It has been a while since I attributed it, so I don't recall my chain of thought on this one:

RR - Licinia Vejovis Jun 2019 (0).jpg

Roman Republic Denarius
    C. Licinius Lf Macer
    (84 B.C.) Rome Mint

Diademed bust of Vejovis left (Crawford says Apollo), from behind, hurling thunderbolt / Minerva in quadriga right with javelin & shield; C LICINIVS L F MACER in two lines in ex.
    Crawford 354/1; Licinia 16.
    (3.61 grams / 19 mm)

tibor, Sulla80, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Another master class! Thanks @Jochen1!
    62501B12-EF1C-4F53-9FC5-DE54A68B8738.png 496735E6-A6AC-442F-9044-DB005E3C6C20.jpeg
    Licinia
    Denarius. AR. Rome. (84 B.C.). A / Head diademada of Apollo Vejovisto the left with beam of rays in the hand. R / Minerva in quadriga to der., Below (C LICINIVS L F / MACER). 3.38g. FFC.803. BC- / RC. FrI'm Pliego

tibor, Sulla80, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  11. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great post as usual, @Jochen1 . Here’s my example of the Fonteius denarius, with some interesting bankers marks.

A72F863A-2100-47EE-B0BB-646A5F8492BF.jpeg

tibor, Sulla80, Ryro and 7 others like this.
  12. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Great post as always @Jochen1
    Its not often that I have anything to contribute but my latest purchase fits in nicely with your 3rd coin, struck 100 years later under Macrinus.
    I hope we didn't bang heads on this one :banghead:

Cilicia, Aigeai - 217-218ad
    30mm, 18.37g, SNG Levante 1748
    Obverse - Radiate head of Macrinus ( 2 counterstamps )
    Reverse - Macrinus seated L on curule chair holding Victory in RH, standing behind him Amalthea who crowns him with RH and holds infant Zeus with LH who crowns Amalthea with wreath.
    Kneeling Goat beneath Curule chair.

867796.l[1].jpg

tibor, Sulla80, Jochen1 and 6 others like this.
  13. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Denarius of C. Licinius Macer 84. B.C. Obv Bust of Vejovis left seen from back about to throw thunderbolt. Rv Minerva driving galloping quadriga right Cr 354/1 3.82 grms 18 mm photo by W. Hansen 354-b.jpg

eparch, tibor, Sulla80 and 10 others like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

MN. FONTEIUS CF 2.jpg
    MN FONTEIUS CF ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo Vejovis right, M FONTEI CF behind, thunderbolt below, ROMA monogram below chin
    REVERSE: Infant winged Genius (or Cupid) infant Genius riding goat right, , caps of the Dioscuri above, filleted thyrsos below
    Struck at Rome 85 BC
    3.87g, 20mm
    Cr353/1a; Fonteia 9

tibor, Sulla80, Jochen1 and 6 others like this.
  15. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Here are some:

Phil (55).JPG

[​IMG]

Phil (60).JPG Phil (61).JPG

Phil Davis

eparch, tibor, Sulla80 and 8 others like this.
  16. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

What an unusual and interesting reverse. Thank you.

Jochen

17. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Jochen1, as always, a pleasure to read, excellent coins in your post and also shared by others in this thread. Here's my denarius of L. Julius Bursio. My off-flan amphora control mark not as interesting as several of the coins above e.g. wing on the OP coin and @Volodya's coins.
    L Julius Bursio.jpg
    L. Julius Bursio, AR denarius, 85 BC, Rome.
    Obv: bust with laurel wreath, amphora and trident behind
    Rev: Victoria with wreath in quadriga, beneath "L IVLI BVRSIO"
    Ref: Cr. 352/1a

tenbobbit, tibor, Volodya and 3 others like this.
  18. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Sharing a little montage I did a while back with a photo I took of a magnificent wall painting of Apollo Kithairodus, displayed at the museum on the Palatine Hill in Rome. Together with a few obverses showing Apollo depicted in different manners throughout the 1st century BC on a few of my coins.

[​IMG]

Volodya, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted