Apollo Tet - A Keeper

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Ah the keepers. Those great coins that have everything your looking wrapped up in one coin. That certain look, that feel in hand, that feeling you get when it speaks to you, this coin had all this and much more. I love everything about it. The large planchet, interesting looking bust of a historical figure and a wonderful high detailed reverse. Yet the coin possess just enough flaw where authenticity is without question. Perfect for me.

[​IMG]

Credit to www.houseofptolemy.org

Seleucid Kingdom
    Antiochus I Soter (r. BC 281-261).
    AR Tetradrachm 30 mm x 17.11 grams
    Seleucia on the Tigris
    Obverse: Diademed head of Antiochus right
    Reverse: Apollo seated left on omphalus, examining arrow held in right hand and resting left on grounded bow.

AntiochusIblack.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Lovely! I see circulation wear, but a great strike and centering. I think "flaw" is much too strong a word for this coin. The style is also superb.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A-Noob, That's a wonderful example!!! I agree with everything you said in your OP about that terrific TET, except your idea of a 'flaw'....It has sensational eye-appeal!!!

My two examples are more than flawed enough to ensure authenticity, but I love them anyway LOL

Antiochus III with Apollo and VII with Athena:
    Antiocus III Tet.JPG Antiochus II reverse.JPG antiochus VII silver tet.JPG antiochus VII athena reverse punch stlyle.JPG

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

We all know what we're talking about, but for the sake of newbies, let's not associate flaws with authenticity, lol. There are good flaws and bad flaws.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Noob, Noob, Noob. All these coins you're showing are just wonderful coins. Flaw? What flaw? BUT, since you see the flaw, I'll be glad to take it off your hands and give it a good home alongside all my flawed coins.

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  7. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Eesh Master Noob, so much eye candy your pouring out!!

Don't want a noobie to go o_O

8. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Another lovely coin and another area I would love to venture into :rolleyes:. In due time, in due time...

9. Ancientnoob

Dont worry I got some Rare Ceylon Pandya stuff just for us folks.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great coin. I liked the type so much it became my first large silver back when I had almost no Greek coins. I was attracted to the size and style if not the condition. I paid too much ($40) before I started writing down the date I bought coins so all I know it was pre-1987.
    g02250bb0013.jpg

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very sweet OP-winner, Noob (congrats on your recent bunch of AR beauties)

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow AN, another gorgeous greek tet.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. Ancientnoob

You did tell me at one time..."make it rain."

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted