Apollo 11 Moon Landing 2019 Commemorative Coins Proposed Designs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willieboyd2, Oct 22, 2017.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, that's not creepy at all.

Considering what our future in space was looking like 50 years ago, though, I suppose it's sadly appropriate for today's reality... :(

CircCam, TypeCoin971793 and Paddy54 like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

How half of these designs even got approved is beyond me. 4 looks like a space disaster.

The eagle flying around the moon or the first with the rocket are best. So like always they'll probably pick some awful childish one that will really look terrible on the 5 oz puck

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The boot print will be the winner

6. baseball21

Sadly probably. Would be the least amount of work for them

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And probably the most amount of die life too. Those reasons combined with them all agreeing that it symbolizes everything about the space program in one simple image makes it the winner. Smart money is on the boot print.

8. baseball21

I honestly wish I could disagree, but that's spot on. I'm fully prepared to be very disappointed by this.

9. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

The "astronaut looking up at the moon" design proposal looks uncannily similar to a shot from the creepy opening scene of the sci-fi movie "Prometheus."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I do not really like any of them. 8, 10, 12, 13 and 17 are the least worst, IMO.

But I agree that boot print is most likely winner.

The sad thing is that the reverse design on the Ike dollar is better than any of these, IMO.

[​IMG]

BTW, the dancing suit is actually the third of the 18 designs shown in that link. The only one which is worse is the actual number 4, which shows a woman looking through binoculars. But I guess that conforms best to the current apparent purpose of the mint to promote diversity, so I would not count that one out.

onecenter, TypeCoin971793 and Rassi like this.
  11. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Of all the designs, I guess I like the Saturn V rocket:

Saturn V.jpg
    and I'm sorry, but the Headless Spaceman

artist-196.jpg

reminds me too much of either

headless-horseman.jpg

or "Fighting Gravity" (although these guys *are* pretty cool...)

CircCam likes this.
  12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Looks like another no buy for me.

Dougmeister likes this.
  13. Lemme Caution

Baseball in space.jpg Either the Saturn V or the bootprint would be doable for me, but I really don't relish the idea of yet another coin like the recently-issued baseball glove in that peculiar concave/convex format; home run in space, anyone?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    TypeCoin971793 and -jeffB like this.
  14. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I second that.

Santinidollar and CircCam like this.
  15. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

The space suit is creepy. Was there an accident and it dis-assembled itself, and the occupant was lost???

16. Lemme Caution

Elvis has left the building.

17. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Just reinforces how much I dislike the fact we need the CCAC at all.

At this point I actually hope so because some of those other designs are terrible imo. But I bet the CCAC recommends a different one.

18. Lemme Caution

Oh, the humanity!

19. baseball21

The idea of them is okay, the people they picked however.....

20. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I believe that an image of the rocket should be on the coin. The Saturn V rocket is the most massive work of technology that the human race has ever hurled into space. In order to escape the Earth's gravity, the 34-story Saturn V rocket burned an incredulous one million gallons (3.6 million liters) of fuel in only the first 11 minutes and 39 seconds of its flight. This behemoth was central to the Apollo missions. The candidates presented by the Coin World article are for the obverse side. I don't know what design that the mint has in mind for the reverse side. However, I hope the Saturn V is displayed on the coin either way.

I agree. I love the Ike Dollars. It is a simple design on a large coin. The designs for some of the candidates are too "intricate" (for lack of a better word) - too busy looking.

21. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Did you see the new one 1 OZ platinum proof coin series they also announced yet? Perhaps we'll get some nice coins out of that program.

'WASHINGTON – The United States Mint announced today that it is launching a three-year platinum proof coin series starting in 2018 and continuing through 2020. The three-year program, titled “Preamble to the Declaration of Independence Platinum Proof Coin Series,” will feature newly-designed one ounce proof coins struck in 99.95 percent platinum.'

[​IMG]

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-r...nces-new-one-ounce-platinum-proof-coin-series

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted