APAMEIA, PHRYGIA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This arrived in yesterday's mail. It is very nice in hand, but I'm not sure the images do it justice.
    Phrygia, Apameia OBV.JPG Phrygia, Apameiab REV.JPG
    APAMEIA, PHRYGIA
    AE23
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: APAME to the right, cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis standing facing, magistrate HRAKLEI EGLO to left
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    8.38g, 22mm
    SNGCop 183.1; BMC Phrygia p. 77, 48

From Wikipedia:
    "The Phrygians are most famous for their legendary kings of the heroic age of Greek mythology: Gordias whose Gordian Knot would later be cut by Alexander the Great, Midas who turned whatever he touched to gold, and Mygdon who warred with the Amazons. According to Homer's Iliad, the Phrygians were close allies of the Trojans and participants in the Trojan War against the Achaeans. Phrygian power reached its peak in the late 8th century BC under another, historical king Midas, who dominated most of western and central Anatolia and rivaled Assyria and Urartu for power in eastern Anatolia. This later Midas was, however, also the last independent king of Phrygia before its capital Gordium was sacked by Cimmerians around 695 BC. Phrygia then became subject to Lydia, and then successively to Persia, Alexander and his Hellenistic successors, Pergamon, Rome and Byzantium. Phrygians were gradually assimilated into other cultures by the early medieval era, and after the Turkish conquest of Anatolia the name Phrygia passed out of usage as a territorial designation."

th.jpg

Then there is the Phrygian cap we see on later roman FH coins:

"The Phrygian cap is a soft conical cap with the top pulled forward, associated in antiquity with the inhabitants of Phrygia, a region of central Anatolia. In early modern Europe it came to signify freedom and the pursuit of liberty, through a confusion with the pileus, the felt cap of manumitted (emancipated) slaves of ancient Rome. Accordingly, the Phrygian cap is sometimes called a liberty cap; in artistic representations it signifies freedom and the pursuit of liberty."
    220px-Bust_Attis_CdM.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great addition

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic coin! I really like those cult statue of Artemis reverses.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice one indeed bing, sweet green and tan patina! the reverse is cool, i saw a few coin with the type while i was shopping last time. i assume this was the "many breasts" version of artemis, like the one at the temple of artemsis in ephesus?

[​IMG]

Eng, Okidoki and Magnus Maximus like this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

A very classy looking coin.

7. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

@Chrsmat ,:D you don't see that everyday.
    Looks like a great coin Bing!

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A beautiful coin all around Bing. Great find. There are so many interesting types out of Apameia, even into Roman Provincial times. My one coin of this city is of the eagle/meander type...

Phrygia, Apameia
    AE23, 6.77g; c. 133-148 BC.
    Obv.: Bust of Athena right, wearing high-crested Corinthian helmet and aegis.
    Rev.: AΠAMEΩN, eagle alighting on base with meander pattern, flanked by caps of the Dioskouroi, star above, magistrate’s name unclear.
    Reference: SNG München 110-2.

apameia500.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Hispanicus, chrsmat71, Eng and 5 others like this.
  9. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

very nice indeed, obv. and Rev. both lovely.
    great example.

:D

10. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

PHRYGIA, Trajanopolis, AE 19, DHMOC, Bare-headed and draped bust of Demos right
    it is a re post but what the heck

161Hadrian .BMC17-18.JPG

chrsmat71, Eng, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice pickup! Just an excellent coin all around, Bing.

image.jpg
    PHRYGIA, Apameia
    AE16, 3.31g
    Circa 133 - 48 BC
    SNG Cop 193
    O: Turreted head of Artemis as Tyche right, bow and quiver over shoulder.
    R: APAMEWN PANKP ZHNO to right and left of Marsyas, walking right, naked, but for cloak behind, playing the aulos.

Between you, JA and myself I believe we show three of the four bronze issues Apameia struck during this period, but I think the Apameia coin to get is the one from Septimius Severus's reign showing Noah's Ark on the reverse. This coin alas not from the Zumbly collection but the British Museum :D :
    image.jpg

Ed Snible, chrsmat71, Eng and 6 others like this.
  12. John Anthony

I'll have to save up for that one.

13. Bing

I'll bid $25 for it. Whatcha think?

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Bing, that's a very sexy lookin' coin you've added (I love it!!)

... I only have this lone example from that neck of the woods ...

phya.jpg phyb.jpg

chrsmat71, Eng, Okidoki and 4 others like this.
  15. John Anthony

I think you stole a coin. It's funny, I have no problem dropping a few hundred dollars on a coin, but it's much more satisfying to find a cheapie that, for whatever reasons, has been overlooked by other buyers. Well done sir.

Okidoki likes this.
  16. Bing

You misunderstood. Although I did give $25 for the coin I posted, I was referring to the SS/Noah's Ark coin Z was referring to in the BM. I think my $25 offer would fall on deaf ears.

John Anthony likes this.
  17. John Anthony

Ah, I see. No, it wouldn't fall on deaf ears. You would get laughed out of the auction, lol. (So would I.)

18. Bing

Actually, I thought the same thing.

19. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I was tempted to clean this, but I think I will leave it alone.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phyrgia, Apameia
    Bronze
    - Turreted head of Artemis as Tyche right, bow and quiver over shoulder
    APAME ARISTA KHFIS - to right and left of Marsyas, walking right on maeander pattern, naked but for cloak behind, playing the double flute.
    Mint: Apameia (133-48 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 6.41g / 17mm / -
    References:
    • Weber 7030
    • BMC 47
    • Mionnet Supp. VII 143
    • SNG von Aulock 3472
    • SNG Tuebingen 3973

chrsmat71, 7Calbrey, Eng and 4 others like this.
  20. Bing

Yeah, I think I wouldn't do anything to it.

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Noah's Ark coin has been on my wish list for years but I'll even take one from the other emperors that used the type (even though I would prefer Septimius). The BM coin shown is the only one I have seen pictured that has all three of the letters in Noah on the box which is the highest point on the reverse. I believe the value of a coin would double for each additional letter it has. The BM coin would easily hit 6 digits.

I might add that I really like Bing's OP coin and would easily pay........nothing approaching 6 digits......but I like it anyway.

Pishpash likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted