Anything wrong with this 09 S VDB??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Aug 6, 2017.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yup . . . I don't like it.

DysfunctionalVeteran likes this.
  5. DysfunctionalVeteran

The last 9 looks off to me.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Both the second nine and the mintmark.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

S looks added in the last photo.

8. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'll go ahead and report it as a fake.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you're going to be looking at raw examples, this is a good tool to keep handy even if it is far, far from foolproof..

IMG_2607.JPG

That said, I suggest you take a close look at the V.D.B in the seller's photos. Although far from ideal, they should only add to the already very reasonable expressed suspicion.

green18 likes this.
  10. DysfunctionalVeteran

Thanks. I had no intention of buying that coin at all. For some reason it showed up in my feed and before I reported the listing I just wanted to get confirmation from other's.

11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

No way it can be fake. The seller has guaranteed it is genuine in the listing.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  12. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I have reservation on the specific 1909-S VDB image reference contained in your post.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't see enough evidence to be conclusive in images this poor. Perspective is distorted, but it seems consistent with Mint Mark Location #2.

14. BooksB4Coins

And?

15. justafarmer

1909  S VDB CADS.jpg EBAY 1909-s VDB 2 Overlay on 2.jpg EBAY 1909-S VDB 3 Overlay on 3.jpg UNKNOWN 1909-S VDB 2 Overlay on 2.jpg UNKNOWN 1909-S VDB 2 Overlay on 3.jpg UNKNOWN 1909-S VDB 3 Overlay on 2.jpg UNKNOWN 1909-S VDB 3 Overlay on 3.jpg

16. BooksB4Coins

I'm still not sure what you've taken issue with regarding the attachment, but to the best of my knowledge it was originally taken from a guide to counterfeit detection, published by the ANA and ANACS in the early 80's, and was offered as a supplement to the Numismatist iirc. I have a copy in my library, and will dig it out once I return home tomorrow.

The four positions shown have long been accepted by the TPGs as the only genuine ones known. To further the point...

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Counterfeit-Vs-Authentic-1909-s-Vdb-Lincoln-Cents

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5217/Counterfeit-1909-S-VDB-Lincoln-Cents/

17. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It looks fake. Every thing about it looks off. Including the V.D.B and the s mintmark. It probably should be reported.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In the last photo in the 1st post, doesn't that look like solder or (whatever they are using) to attach the mint mark?
    And as NLL pointed out, I went to the listing and the VDB looks wrong. It seems large and spread apart and the D is at a bad angle.

19. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Personally without better pics id say the S has been added. It dosent look right. the 1909 cent itself looks alright aside from that second 9. A hit maybe? But the S looks wrong to me. Then again the pics suck lol

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't consider it a particularly good sign when a seller feels the need to say "guaranteed authentic."

21. justafarmer

I have no reservations concerning the resources provided by PCGS or NGC.

NGC 1909-S VDB 2 over 2.JPG

PCGS 1909-S VDB over 2.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted