Anything rare found in "What's it Worth" section?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBreaux, May 25, 2017.

1. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

Hey,

People post photo after photo in the What's it worth thread and most of the time it is pmd or is worth little. This isn't supposed to sound rude, I am just interested, but has anyone posted a coin in the section that has turned out to be rare?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well.......yes.......in a way........but we don't mention his name here.

Chris

ColonialCoin4 and CoinBreaux like this.
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think I posted a HK-606 so- called dollar here back when I found it. Not real valuable (at least in this condition) I've heard R-5 or
    R-6 on rarity scale. 20161125_191038-1.jpg

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Found in a box of "junk".

6. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Occasionally, someone will enter that forum with an inherited collection or something. However, for the most part, it seems to be the folks whose interest in coins begins and ends at their monetary worth. It seems like coin collectors are more likely to post in other forums in a quest to find out more information than just a coin's worth, and/or to share coins with others.

CoinBreaux and Nathan401 like this.
  7. GaryLomax

GaryLomax I collect, therefore I am

Yes, many clueless posters but it is still my favorite forum to check for new posts because its not just a numismatic forum, its also a comedy forum.

I love silver penny threads!!!

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I suppose that depends on how you want to define rare. You should also realize, and not everybody does, that a coin being rare does not always mean it is worth a lot of money. And yeah, even using value as the defining criteria as opposed to actual rarity, you then have to define what you would call a lot of money. I've bought coins before that only had 2 and maybe 3 known examples (at the time) in existence, and yet I paid less than $2000 for the coin.

That said, over the years there have been a few times when a member of this forum ran across a coin that ended up being a 5 figure coin, and one maybe two that ended up being a 6 figure coin. So yeah, it happens, but not very often.

9. CoinBreaux

My definition of rare is a not common coin regardless of the price , which some may agree and disagree with. I think someone found a 1909 vdb matte proof on eBay and posted it to see how much it was worth. Do you have the links to those threads?

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No I don't. I don't bother to keep such things.

11. CoinBreaux

Alright, thanks anyways.

Draft saved Draft deleted