Anything Else Besides Verdicare That Shines?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Mar 3, 2021.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Just like the title says, have you run across anything else that shines up a coin besides Verdicare? :D Verdicare works great but I'm running low so I'm looking for an alternative. Any ideas?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Have you ever tried a product called MS70 ? I did some research and that's what comes up is this . I have never tried it personally buy but I hear it works great .
    I would try it on different denominations for best results . Junkey coins first as Test Dummies . :happy:
    55050.jpg MS-70 (wizardcoinsupply.com)

fretboard and GH#75 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

I also recommend a product called Renaissance Wax for a final coating for shine and protection . It was used in English Museums over the years. Sold on Amazon.
    71WDYuJyt7L._AC_UL160_.jpg

fretboard and Inspector43 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

Just a reminder , this is to do if only your not going to have graded . I'm not sure they will grade if used ? Anyone else know ?

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Verdicare did not work for me.

I used it on 18th and 17th century coppers dug from the ground and it had no effect whatsoever.

A good soak in virgin olive oil has had the best results over the last 15 years and nothing else has come close to performing as well.

fretboard likes this.
  8. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

MS70 and verdicare are for XF coins and up. Coins with dirt and crud on them like that won't be cleaned with these products. They might get a little bit of dirt off of them, but not as good as olive oil.

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Verdicare was for Verdigris,

The copper coins I had are not covered in dirt or crud, just Verdigris.

It did not work.

From Verdicare.

VERDI-CARE™ is designed to work on all metal coin surfaces: gold, silver, copper, brass, etc. No more trial and error, no more guesswork, no more worries. VERDI-CARE™ is safe, gentle and effective as a surface debris remover. VERDI-CARE™ allows collectors to conserve their coins and not strip them clean of luster and original patina. There is a big difference between conservation and cleaning. With VERDI-CARE™ you can be sure not to cross that line due to its safe and gentle nature. Your coins will be conserved, not cleaned. Problems like light surface residue, verdigris and corrosion can now be addressed without resorting to expensive, third-party conservation services

10. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Try this. its a cointalk article on a verdigris solution. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/homemade-verdigris-formulas.353980/

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, I have a bottle of it and it's worked wonders on a couple of Tokens that had to be cleaned. That said, on one of the Tokens I cleaned with it, it cleaned too well. Meaning it took a layer of metal too low for my liking. It's still a useful product though, not much for shinning purposes tho'. :D

I may try an olive oil soak, we'll see! :cigar:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I've got an 1865 two-center soaking in olive oil for a couple of months now, I understand it takes a while?!

daveydempsey likes this.
  13. SensibleSal66

Yes , it take a very long time . Good luck .

14. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Got nothin but time til it runs out!

fretboard and SensibleSal66 like this.
  15. SensibleSal66

Do you ever wonder what they use on shipwreck coins ? I do. Anyone know ?:)

16. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Car polish?!

Draft saved Draft deleted